Is it illegal to put flyers under people windshiels wipers?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by popninety, Jan 23, 2008.

1. popninety

popninety LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Is it in any way illegal to put flyers for my business under peoples windshield wipers in a public parking lot in oregon?

2. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont believe in pa it is against the law but i also dont think people like it very much either,i dont think you will get a very good response from it.JMO

3. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

No, but it's annoying. And if you run thru a parking lot and do it the property owner may come after you when all the patrons throw your ad (litter) on the ground.

IMO find another way to advertise.

4. popninety

popninety LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

ah i was hoping it was illegal because, i know it is anoying and no one likes it but unforntuantly my boss thinks it a good idea, was hoping to show him that we can't do it

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

The only think I found wrong with it is. that you cant target your Customer.

You dont know where these people live

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

i give windshield flyers about as much though as I give my toilette paper...

But the above post is very correct, you are not able to really target you audience....how many folks are employee's renting, how many are kids who don't have to cut grass, ect. how many are from 20 miles away? Ect....

7. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

There was something on here a few years ago about a kid who was doing that at a mall. Well long story short they didnt allow soliciting, and they made him go and take them all off. Not sure what state.

8. Dhouse

Dhouse LawnSite Member

It depends on the city. Some cities in Michigan have ordinances against this type of advertising. I know because I was warned by a city offical.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

so I guess we could say this is a dead topic.....

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

just need to check the property for their "anti soliciting rules" and see if there is any anti-soliciting rules in your city/township.