Is it illegal to............................

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Pallas, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

This sort of goes along with some of the other collection themed threads this time of year - Does anyone know if it's illegal for someone (a customer) to stop payment on a check for services already rendered? I heard that it is. I know it's illegal to write a check that you intend to stop payment on ..... but..... thanks for any info.

2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard thats illegal too... but do not know for sure...

3. tpl

tpl LawnSite Member

it all depends on what was done...if you made any changes to the property i.e....landscaping, irrigation, or any digging and or building, you must have a contractors liscense. if you don't, you can't do anything about it, if you do, then you had an agreement and take them to court.

if the job was maintenance, then she has the right to do whatever she pleases if they are not satisfied with the job. but, if you feel like you did the job that was agreed upon, the once again, take them to court. just the threat got me my money when this happened to me.

4. grasskutter

grasskutter LawnSite Member
    from mass.

its only illegal if you get caught or someone tells on you.In Ma. it would be illegal according to some, as bad as passing a bad check.But some may claim they were just afraid of you and cancelled it after you left. let the judge decide, the info is in your best light.

5. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

In VA it's a civil matter. The only thing you can do is take them to court and hope the judge sides with you. The operative word in the law is usually intent, which is very hard to do.

6. In Mo. it's illegal to stop a check that is not a "lost check"........

Once a service has been rendered and a check has been issued, a payment has been made. Weather it has been done properly or not, it is illegal to stop the check.

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

LGF is correct Alex for 1000.

If someone stops payment, you can/will be able to get settlement in smal claims court. No questions asked!! I think the only exception would be for a job deposit if no materials were purchased, and/or work begun.
    Thats why many places put such checks on display to publically humiliate the offending parties. I've seen it done at a few rental places and Nurseries before.
    Take 'em to court and get paid.
    Bob

8. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Does it really matter? Jay walking is illegal too. The only question is wether or not the sum owed to you is worth a trip to court.

9. Yes it does matter because the threat of criminal prosecution is added leverage to get them to pay without going to court.

[​IMG]