Is it just a Paycheck? Or do you like this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mdvaden, Jan 19, 2008.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious about anyone who is willing to tell it the way it is - one way or the other.

Do you like landscape work in regards to a true enjoyment of horticulture?

Or does it pay the bills?

Does your involvement in landscaping contribute to horticulture? Or do you just cut your piece of the pie off without helping to grind the wheat or bake it?

Nothing wrong with making a good living at it.

Actually, I've encountered at least one company that did more good for commercial landscaping by "fast fooding" - but it ain't my style.

2. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

Great question.

Personaly The high point of this type of work is seeing a tree you planted as a 2 footer start to shade a house, the rock wall you built aging gracefully, the swampy muck you irragated and filled to make a livable backyard, the pond you planted cattails around thriving.

When you can still be proud of the work you did years later, thats more then just the money.

That being said i look at maintenance work and snowplowing as something that is done for money.

Nate

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I personally love what I do. I love having a job that is fun to me. I love the maintenance end of things. I love taking an average lawn and making it beautiful. From fertilization to cutting, edging, etc. I also love taking a teribble landscape and transforming it into a brand new one. i.e. Sod, mulch, plants. The money's great but I love learning and can't wait to work the next day.

4. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

I enjoy what I do. Seeing my customers yard look perfect and the big smiles on their faces is what gets me through the Texas heat. I make plenty working alone, just do 20 yards year around and bring in close to 50 to 60 thousand a year. No pressure at all. Almost everything I own is paid for and still works, most of the time =)

I started up doing irrigation not for the money but to help the people out in my community dealing with the new high water prices. One customer received a $1,200.00 water bill during the heat of the season. I hope to fix it where they dont have a repeat of that this season.

To be honest I could really careless if the grass is dark green or its all rock, as long as my customers are happy with the job I do.

5. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

paycheck......

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I enjoy what I do.

Towards the end of last season - I might have had a different opinion, but I am looking forward to the up coming season.

7. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

just beer money for me and I dont drink

8. Harshman

Harshman LawnSite Member

I absolutely love doing this. The smell of fresh cut grass(lawn) is something I look forward to everyday. You just cant beat the outdoors.

I will admit that working indoors is easier with the Texas heat and all, but you don't get the customer interactions, thank yous, or challenges we face everyday, sitting at a desk.

Just my $.02.

9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

This kind of work is my passion.

10. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

i enjoy it