1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it just me or is your bank account just about empty?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Jan 20, 2008.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:dizzy:WOW, is it me or is your bank account startin to look a little slim. Those outstanding fall bills would be nice about now, some of these people are for in for a very rude awaking when the new contracts go out & they have no choice to pay via c.c. tony
  2. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Must be just you. :usflag:
  3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear ya.
    I am going through the same thing. One of my biggest commercial accounts is waiting for money to be dispersed from HUD, still owes me for fall cleanup and Jan. plowing contract. But they paid Dec. plowing contract:dizzy:
    Hasn't snowed here in a while. Wife is due with my next kid middle of February. Just incorporated the biz., had to write a big ole insurance check. Property taxes due. :cry::cry:
    I'm ok for now, but if we dont get a bunch of snow soon, I might be in trouble next month.
    Spring cant get here soon enough, I've signed 4 new maint. contracts in the past two weeks.
    Hang in there, in a couple of months we'll be telling about how busy we are, and how we're making ALL THIS money. :laugh:
  4. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

At least your honest...... Winter money first then play money:usflag:
  5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Your not doing something right if you arent looking good for winter. Might be time to evaluate what your true overhead is, what you are buying that you shouldnt, and of course what your charging. Remember we only get around 160 working days in NJ but have 365 days of bills to pay.
  6. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone work an extra job in the off season?
  7. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

i work construction with my uncle, just to get me out of the freakin house
  8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Good to see you here again - I too visit very infrequently anymore. Each winter, the $ coming in from the fall gets a little slow as clients are also dealing w/ payments for their holiday season purchases. I usually find it necessary to give a phone call to remember that we too need to get paid. The majority of my clients are pretty good and most/many know that each year I have no qualms eliminating PITA's & slow payers.

Give me a ring someday Tony.
  9. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Over the winter I lost one big commercial account.Gained 3 new residential and soon to tie down a smaller commercial. My cash looks ok i guess, but when i finish the 3 or 4 projects i put off all summer for winter projects. The cash flow will so down, also paying my business insurance, taxes soon, and take my wife on a vacation to a warmer place for a few week. I'm afraid i will not have the money to buy the Runbeind I have been looking at thats calling my name.
  10. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

shovelracer, this will be mt 12th season, i was mentioning how slow things seemed to be, didnt say i was counting nickels to pay my bills. was in one of my dealers today and they had mentioned that it was a tight money year as well, they are there 32 years, maybe theyr doin something wrong to.. you guys on this site crack me up sometimes amazing how the conversation changes to how business is run... nevermind