1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it just me or what?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, Mar 6, 2002.

BAMARED LawnSite Member

When I flyer shortly before the season kicks off, I have much poorer results vs. if I flyer when the grass actually starts to grow. Maybe it's just the American way....to wait until the last possible minute to decide on who cuts your grass.

Do any of you out there have similar results from flyiering your areas, thus dictating when you do it?

2. sparsons

The same here with all our advertisement not just flyers
    Our most calls come after the grass starts growing good.
    Use to put flyers and adds around mar1 here now we wait to april 1
  3. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

Same thing here. I usually have to wait till I've cut my repeat customers one or two times, before new accounts start to call.
  4. I start flyers in Feb. and naturaly the calls are a lot slower than April, but that slower pace allows me get back to top form before busy season.
  5. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I agree sparsons. Here in Central Pa at least people do not start to think about lawn maintenance until the grass needs to be cut. I get a much better responce if the flyers are distributed close to the begining of the season. The last week of March or the first week of April is the usual start date for me....
  6. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

When using flyers it is not always to get a feel for when people are going to contact you. Some wait until the grass is 6" high. Others wait to see if their company from last year is going to show up, and others just don't pay attention to it until they lose one of their pets or children in the lawn. If flyers are what you are using, try to 'tease" the prospect into contacting you early. A bonus for signing up early, etc... It is difficult as your business grows to budget and route when you are still taking clients into the month of May.

Sean Adams
  7. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

I've found the people who wait to call until the last minute to make their "emergency" your problem are not always worth your time. If they cared enough about their landscape in the first place - they would have been thinking about.

The best customers we get from flyers are the ones who are thinking about their properties and know they're looking to change services. They called because they are READY to buy.

Don't get me wrong - the late callers are okay, but I usually find they want more service on a tighter budget. If they're trying to play catch up with their lawn - it's because they're usually trying to catch up with their lives since they're behind on everything. You just might get overlooked down the road too!
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Most people procrastinate their lives away. One day I'll do ____ or sometime I will do ____. This is no different than for the decision to hire a LCO.
  9. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I always give confirmation calls and letters to steady clients...new ones usually arent picked up till much later.