1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is it just me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joshua, Apr 20, 2001.

1. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

is it just me or are there more and more guys out here this year, that have no idea what there doing? another funny thing is that they don't even know how to use the mowr they have, i have never seen so many crooked lines after the 2nd full week of cutting. is it just me or are you guys seeing this too?
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I could care less about the patterns of other LCOs. What Im amazed at is the lack of wb this year. There are so many new companies out in the fields, and they all seem to have a new z-rider of some sort.

Hopefully our phones will ring off the hook for deck work once they tear up more than enuff turf thru May.

3. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

I agree with kutnkru every time I turn around theres a new guy with a ztr mostly walkers. I wish I could have started out with one instead of using wbs for the first few years.as for their work I dont realy pay attention I figure if its bad the good lcos will get the call.
  4. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I too have been noticing an abundance of new comers to the business. And it seems that they all have shiny new $8,000.00 ztr's! As for the quality of their work, I always pay attention to my competition. It's nice to know who I will be cleaning up after they get booted for tearin' up too much turf!!!
  5. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I got my new phone book today and i could not belive all of the new compenys that have sprung up!! They will most likley not last long. Most of the new compenys last year are nolonger around so I will just do quality work and keep raken in there customers!!!LOL
  6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

yea i hear ya on tearing up the turf, i never seen so many turn marks now that i think about it. ohh well i've always said after the customer sees what their doing to their yard it will be so much easier for me to pick them up.
  7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm new, only been around since July. I'm staying. I will watch as I overtake the big boys and have fun all the way.
    My shiny, new ztr only cost about $6k, since I got a cub.
  8. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Just today, I saw this guy in my neighborhood mowing my old piano teacher's lawn. His equipment was...

A rusty 197? pick up
    A delapidated 5X10 trailer
    An OLD Gravely 150 series 36" walkbehind
    An even older Velky (on soaked soil)
    Wearing a pair of severly torn jeans and a nasty gray sweatshirt

And his lines were all over the place. There were horrible ruts in the grass. On top of that, he dumped his grass in the street. My question is why she would hire him over me? I live about a 20 sec. drive from her house. RRRRRR
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Newbies galore here. Association time! I may contact the licensing div. to find out just how many are actually licensed............just for fun of course.
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I counted over 21 ads in our local paper just for cutting grass. Did not include the landscaper grass cutters. Normally there is about 16 ads in peek season. I cant even bring myself to look at the ads anymore. I am sure the newbies will find the callins slim as I have and quit wasteing their money trying to start a biz in a saturated market. I have seen alot of them having ztrs and a few employees and big trucks to start out with. I see it all crashing down on them when they realize they just working to pay bills