1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it legal to put flyer on mailbox?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by eddings, Mar 12, 2007.

1. eddings

eddings LawnSite Member

Just curious, this would be so much faster that putting in doors.
  2. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

As far as I know it is a federal offense.
  3. eddings

eddings LawnSite Member

ON a mailbox, not in a mailbox?
  4. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

no, you are not allowed to put anything in or on the mailbox
  5. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

First year of my business we were told it was ok to put them ON, not IN the mailbox. So we put a couple hundred flyers ON the mailboxes.

Got a call from the post office with a warning that we weren't allowed to put anything ANYWHERE on the mailbox. Next time they would fine us $300 PER BOX.

I've never touched a mailbox again. Yeah, it's faster, but you're really playing with fire there. All it takes is for 1 homeowner to call the post office, and for the post office to enforce the fine. And in my neighborhood, I'm that homeowner. If I'm not allowed to put my flyers on mailboxes, I'm certainly not going to let anyone else get away with it, and I have called the post office on several companies in the past, and I'll do it again.
  6. eddings

eddings LawnSite Member

Sorry guys, I just read through the other post and found out all I needed to know. It is illeagal.
  7. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

you can put them in the "newspaper box" tho
  8. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I HATE this subject, not only because it's every 20th thread, but mostly because that law is horse POOP. If I go to the store and buy a mailbox and put it on my house then it's MY GOSH DARN MAILBOX. Not the stupid govenment's. They get 8.5% from the sales tax on the box, that's enough. Do they own the airspace in your mail slot too? I don't like that law. I get it that they don't want people running around and putting tons of crap in the way, but the idea that they think it's somehow their property pisses me off. Stupid government. MY damn mailbox.
  9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I think you can do that but I would call the paper co and just ask first.
  10. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I hope I don't get burned for the two hundred that I just put out last night. It took me a long time just to get two hundred out by myself....I can't immagine how long it is going to take me to put them in door hanger bags and actually hang them next weekend. What a bummer. I fell for the same assumption. I knew you couldn't put em in the box but I thought on the box was fair game. I made absolutely sure that I didn't cover anyone's numbers though so as not to make anyone mad. In one neighborhood I saw some rolled up and stuck between the box and the flag so at least I wasn't the only one in my area.