1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it Legal ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I am Taking Another Deadbeat to Small Claims Court next Month and Need to Know if there are Any Issues with Me

A)Taking Pictures of his House and Lawn from the Street
    B) Walking Up the Driveway and Taking Pictures of His Back Yard.

This Moron did Not Pay for Fall Clean-Ups and I want Pictures Showing the 2 Large Maples in the front and 5 Massive Oak Trees in the Back.

By the Way I am 12 for 12 in Small Claims Court.... Have Not Lost one Yet ...Their is Nothing Sweeter in the World than the Judge Finding on Your behalf...Looking over at the Deadbeat Scum and Winking.
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Like they - uh Imean I say, a picture is worth a thousand dollars. I try to get pictures of all my jobs before, during and after. It really helps and I love to veiw them as well. How much does this guy owe u?
  3. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

A. Yes, legal from the street
    B. Murky legally. Have you told the client you will no longer work for them? If yes, probably not a good idea to go on their property. If they still think you are going to do work for them, likely ok. If you have reason to believe that they would not want you on their property, it's best to keep off.
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I think the Client is Under the Impression that I Will no Longer Work for Him Since I Served a Claim Against Him....So Walking up the Drive and Taking a Pic of the BackYard is a No No ? I Don't want to Go to Court W/the Pic and Have the Judge Throw out the Case because Pics are Illegal.

The Deadbead Scum owes $550...The Whole Thing Takes More Time and Effort than it's Worth Financially...But Having the Legal Authority to Put a Wage Garnishment or Seizure of Property Order on a Deadbeat Scum Makes it All Worthwhile.
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I did it the other day, so it must be legal. I dont think either way the judge will not look at the pictures. This is civil, not criminal court.
  6. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

It isn't that the pictures would not be 'legal' if you went on the property to take 'em: it's that the homeowner MIGHT charge you with trespassing, and could win. Regardless of how reasonable it should be for you to be able to have photographic proof of your claim, if you go on their property and they take offense, you could be in trouble.
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Howe about taking the pics of the backyard from a neighbors yard?
  8. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

For it to be illegal the property must be posted "NO TRESPASSING" period, if not, all he could do is ask you to leave.
  9. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Why is it that when you post under one of your other screen names, like "Jack D." you seem to know everything, but under this name you have to ask questions with such obvious answers?
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Jack D hasnt posted here since 2002, before you were even a member.