Is it low balling or is it smart?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jul 27, 2004.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I suppose it's a good thing a thread like this takes off as well as all those threads talking about charging kazillion dollars.

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If the lawns are clustered together, that shouldn't be hard at all. I have one stop with 7 lawns. 1 gets cut entirely with the 32" due to a fence. 2 others have fenced in back yards. 1 has a gate that only a 21" mower can fit through. The other 2 get cut entirely with either my 52" or 61" mower.

Myself and my helper are out of there 2 hours and 10-15 minutes.

If I could build a few more stops like that, I could knock out 25-35 lawns in 2/3 of a day. Come to think of it, that would be a great addition to my 2.5 days of mowing so far!

3. green grass lawn care

green grass lawn care LawnSite Member

man this sounds great. a lot of reading here adn a lot of good info. my best route so far is three neighbors and one down the road in the same neighborhood. but nothing like 40 a day. man am i jealous. good for tj and his dad. now i got something to shoot for. vince

4. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

well i read the old stuff long enough and i will post .
    we did the lowballer thing tooafter 10 years in bus.
    we handed out flyers in 1 location and it read Total lawncare service $22.50 std lotor 25.00 corner lot ,per cut weekly or bi-weekly includes mowing weed-eating and blowing also bagging , trimming shrubs under 5' ,edging, as needed 100% quality or you dont pay !
    we handed out 2500 flyer and in the first month was at 120 home we obtained 500 customers by fall last year and the other non-discounted work goes 500 leaf cleanups ,220 mulch installs only ,102 landscape touch ups, 120 seed aerates, and we trimmed 300 bushes outside our agreement and this was all completd with 5 guys doing mowing services and 2 guys doing landscapework this year we started off with the 500 properties andparked the pushmowers and 3 people completed the services with 2 z's a 48" walker and a 30" side discharge unit averaging 8 lawns an hour wih each mower paying the crew a set price per lawn and the business personally keeping 15.00 of every job off the top . volume makes it nice and it keeps it fun

5. chris@perfectlawncare

chris@perfectlawncare LawnSite Member

that sounds like alot...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. rm25x

rm25x LawnSite Member

Very good read. Always something new to learn about on this site.
    I do like the idea of fixed pricing, and the auto bill pay system.
    I think I am going to try that for snow plowing this winter.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  7. rm25x

rm25x LawnSite Member

One thing I can't figure out though, is how he can get lot size from the internet.
    I went to my county website, and can't find anything there.

8. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

....try Zillow.com
    :cool2:

9. rm25x

rm25x LawnSite Member

That seems to work for homes that are for sale...

10. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

.....look alittle deeper.....they have sq ft of property.