1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it low balling or is it smart?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jul 27, 2004.

1. 290

290 LawnSite Member

Thanks for bringing it back up. It was indeed a good read.
  2. Tyler259

Tyler259 Banned

Yeah I'm bumping this interesting stuff.
  3. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Justmowing's workers are all mexicans provided with federal government visas. All the math I saw on here was for 10 an hour per employee. If you think they're making anything above minimum wage you're nuts.
  4. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

The federally mandated rate is currently 11.79. You cannot get around it and stay in good graces with the B2B program
  5. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok so you guys brought this back up....but what's the end result?

If you think he hired mexicans to pay them 11.79 per hour...your sadly mistaken
    If they are receiving checks for that much, then he is receiving compensation from some program to pay their wages. There is LOTS of government funded payroll programs out there. Most of which pay at least half (if not all) the salary for you, just to hire them!

We have "goodwill industries" out this way that employee's inmates on good behavior for lawn services. They mow state parks and things of that nature. They get no compensation and they work like dogs. They have rigs that would make you look like a lowballer. One trailer they lug around has four 60" Grand Stands, 8 Commercial Trimmers, with 4 backpack blowers. They pay nothing for labor and the state gets their dirty work done for free, all they get is tax incentives / breaks on the profitable sides of their business. They will also pay for your business to hire new workers - they pay half the hourly salary for the first year if you hire through the unemployment office.

It's slave labor anyway you look at it.

I'm more curious on how his idea's turned out. Was the grass greener on that side of the business? I would personally love to hear from him.
  6. Cunningham Landscape

Cunningham Landscape LawnSite Member

I go by this phrase........ "I'd rather sit at home and go broke, then work for free!"
  7. coolbreeze

coolbreeze LawnSite Member

He and his dad stopped visiting this site a few years. One of the main reasons was that a few people took the copycat idea too far. They didn't just copy his business model, but his trucks, logos, etc. They are still in business though!
  8. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the greatest threads of all time. Does anyone in Dallas area know if Just Mowing still exists?
  9. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

I was able to access their website a month or so ago. It's down again. It seemed updated as they were advertising a 2013 ford escape (I think) giveaway. A few weeks later it is down. I wonder if they have so many customers they **** it down. It had a video of a GM who was not a Justice.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure why shut it down was started out. Maybe I typed **** accidentally.
  10. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

Yup I accident typed **** and it starred it out. That's awesome.
    Posted via Mobile Device