Is it normal for a walk behind to be hard to keep straight?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn crafters, Jul 20, 2008.

1. lawn crafters

lawn crafters LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

is this normal or do i have a transmition problem?

p.s it is belt driven

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

takes time to learn to keep it straight!

3. lawn crafters

lawn crafters LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

no i no that but what i mean is, a walker can stay straight i was just wondering if i had a transmition issue

4. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure the drive wheels are equally inflated. It does make a difference.

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Tire inflation, belt wear, lack of pulley traction (due to spring loads). If either are uneven, you'll fall off course.

Also, if you're bagging, that weight can affect your lines...

But it DOES come down to practice. Some mowers are easier than others...

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I had the same issue, I 1st thought it was me, then I noticed it was pulling to one side.

a simple adjustment and I was srtight in no time

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First I would check the control rods, it could be one or the other needs adjusting.
    This I can't describe because it varies from one machine to the next, but as a rule they should brake fully on the one extreme and engage fully on the other, usually they are adjusted by pulling a clip out of place and giving it a few turns but again this can vary, however if either control rod or both need adjusting this will make the mower track funny.

Then I would check the belts, and replace one or both just to be sure.
    These belts there is no telling if they're worn unless you really know how to check, because they do NOT break!
    Instead they just wear and wear and one day it's just too worn and it slips but it looks fine to the casual observer.
    I can usually tell nowadays but even after almost 7 years sometimes I just replace it to make sure that's not it.
    Yes, that's how hard it is to really know if they are worn, that is, unless you just replaced them recently...
    So I'd replace at least one if not both, and if that doesn't fix the problem then you have two spare belts.

And...
    It could also be either or both of the couplings, especially if they're fine or 36-spline.
    And that does go into the transmission in that you might have to replace the center shaft, but in and of itself I would not call this a transmission problem because the source of this issue is located outside, to either side of the transmission there exist two couplings.

If both of those are good (are not slipping due to stripped gears) then it's either the belts are worn, there is an adjustment problem with the steering mechanism, or depending on the age of the machine it could be a worn pulley.

Hope that helps.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have access to a cloth tape measure? If not then a piece of string about 48 inches long will do. Lift the back of the mower up and measure around the outside of both rear tires. If the 2 tires aren't within about 1/4 inch of each other then raise the air pressure in the smaller tire until it's the same size as the larger tire. This fixes about 95% of tracking issues with belt drives.

9. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

especially with a 48, it can help to keep a couple pounds more in the discharge side of the mower.

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Nope not normal. However I have a single hydro Quick so that might be the difference.
    Will defer to others on belt drive specifics.