Is it normal for hydros to move when in neutral?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MikeKle, Apr 20, 2010.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

All of my hydro mowers slowly roll when they are in neutral, and I usually have to apply the brake to stop this, but I was wondering if this was fairly common? Even the one I just bought last year did it the first day I had it. When my TT started doing it a few years ago, I took it to the dealer and they said it is normal for them to creep a little bit, and to just apply the parking brake.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

They're not supposed to creep on their own, but most folks accept it so long
    it's not too bad, the only way to prevent it is to do a neutral type of ...
    I forgot the exact term but it involves re-adjusting the controls some kind of way.

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The deadband can be adjusted on most mowers to stop in nuetral. Some dealers adjust the hydros for max speed giving up a little of the nuetral.

4. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

Time for you to find a new dealer,tracking needs to be adjusted.If your dealer told you that he needs to go back for factory training on his equipment.Also he can't get you a Speedfeed 450?What kind of dealers do you have down there in KY?And another thing Mike,who got your thread on gays deleted,guess someone is homophobic on here.

5. rotti1968

rotti1968 LawnSite Member

They are not supposed to creep at at all and need to be adjusted to neutral. Normally its a very easy process to do so.And I agree your dealer has no clue.....