1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is it normal for legit companies to push mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joea27, Mar 5, 2007.

1. joea27

joea27 LawnSite Member

i was passing out flyers with my buddy last weekend and we saw that someone had passed out flyers in that neighborhood a few days before us so we opened one and it said $29 weekly for a 12000sqft yard and all yards are mowed with a 21inch push mower. they accepted all credit cards and they seemed to be a legit business. the only thing i could think was that they were using illegals to be able to cover their overhead. most legit companies i know around here dont get out of their trucks for less that $40. is this a common thing cuz ive never seen it?
  2. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what the rates are in MS but here, that would have to be a typo.
  3. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

It is probably something similar to what the window companies do around here.
    They advertise $185 per window installed. Then you call them and find out it is more for locks, opener handles, trim around the window etc.

These guys might mow for that CHEAP price but if you want a decent cut at all then it is more.

I dont think that would be too cheap for a mow and go operation appealing to the budget consumer.

You have to remember who your target clientele is.
  4. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

I have 2 customers in different areas and their lawns stay wet. The only way to mow them is with a push mower. Anything else will sink.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about that........every heard of gotmow? Check out their prices!
  6. double e lawncare

double e lawncare LawnSite Member

We pushmow about 20+ lawns- They are post stamp size yards- we get a min. of $25 up to $40. Some are less than 2000 sq. ft. We are a legit co.- 12 employee 12 and are a full landscape co. We also do over 200 yards with zero turns.
  7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I'll amend my statement. If that was my ad, it would be a typo.
  8. joea27

joea27 LawnSite Member

no it was not a typo it had their prices printed clearly $29 12000sqft weekly and $34 every other week then add $5 for yards up to 16000sqft.
  9. jcantrell

jcantrell LawnSite Member

There are many companies like that. They only do yards smaller than 16,000sq ft. and will turn you down if your lot is larger then that. These are just mow, trim, edge, and blow companies who are catoring to the price shoppers, although they do pretty good work most of the time. They are totally legit and actually pay their employees pretty well.

A good example is Just Mow It.
  10. Mow It All llc

Mow It All llc LawnSite Member

Im a legit llc, have all my numbers, insurance, and tax's. I have 75ish residential accounts, 2 strip malls, and 2 small apartment complex's. I have to use a 21" mower on a few of my residentials....the gates might be way to small, they might be small yards and it would look like crap if I use a big mower cause there would be 1 or 2 lines across it....So ya im sure im not the only legit company that uses a push mower