Is it OK to mow when temps drop below freezing at night?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CentralOH, Apr 5, 2007.

1. CentralOH

CentralOH LawnSite Member

Temps are dropping below freezing at night but rising above during the day. Will mowing hurt the grass assuming I wait until the frost melts?

2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

Yes, mowing at freezing temps can damage grass.
  3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it really even growing?
  4. CentralOH

CentralOH LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply daveyo!

We had temperatures in the 70's for a week so yes it is really growing. Gave customer a proposal on Monday, he agreed to proposal on Wednesday afternoon and the temps plummeted. Proposal included mowing this week but do not want to damage grass if mowing when temps fall below freezing will harm his lawn.
  5. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

I mowed today, just wait until the frost is off. I saw a lot of guys out mowing. With the grass as long as it is you have to cut when you can.
  6. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I mowed 3 yesterday in 30 degree temps. We have not had any frost though and I mowed late afternoon. Yards were getting 5-6" tall and the customers wanted them cut.
  7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

We had temps in the 70s last week. Now it's below freezing at night and expecting snow sat morning. I mowed 12 yesterday and gonna do 11 today. I just wait for it to warm up before i get started. I hate to cut the grass with these temperatures but the grass is getting tall so i'm gonna cut. If i get to a yard that does not really need it, i will skip it this week & get it next time.
  8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm waiting til next week to start cutting due to the cold weather were supposed to be getting here, They are calling for severe frost warnings up til Sunday morning
  9. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have highs in the 30's all week, and lows anywhere from 12-25 degrees at night, the grass is really starting to grow since we had 70's and 80's about a week ago. I really dont want to cut anything because of the temperatures but I broke down and cut the shop yard last night. I'm planning on saying heck with it till we get into the 40's next week.:rolleyes: