Is it possibel to over overseed??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by weekendDIY, Sep 22, 2005.

1. weekendDIY

weekendDIY LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I am not really sure if my lawn needs overseeding or not. Some areas look great and other might need a little help.

I was going to go down to Home Depot and rent a slice seeder and do the entire lawn (I rented an aerator today and did that already). Can I harm the lawn by overseeding or the more seed the better?

FYI, It was just done last year but I figure for about $100 I can do it again in a couple of hours and hopefully in the spring have an even better thicker lawn. I also use to have a very bad problem with Wild Violets and I DO NOT want them coming back.

2. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

the thicker the lawn is the better chances you are going to have to keep the weeds out of it. if you think it is to thick in one spot then dont seed it. you can always dethatch the lawn to help that out.

3. weekendDIY

from NJ

I seeded my lawn last week with a drill seeder that I rented from HD. First off - it was alot more work than I thought

I notice it chewed up the lawn quite a bit. Is that expected? Did I go too deep with the blades? Would that matter?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No. You did alright. You are going to have a certain amount of damage, but this quickly heals, and the amount of grass taken out is by far outweighed by the amount you put in. Generally, you can't go too deep with a slit seeder, especially on existing turf. You'll be fine.

5. weekendDIY

from NJ

Thanks for the info. I was a little worried because some areas were torn up pretty good.

Thanks for the info

6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Where those areas very thin?

7. weekendDIY

from NJ

They are pretty thin in some places. why you ask?

8. Ben98gs

Ben98gs LawnSite Member

Because if the areas were thin, then that is where you needed it most and also seems to "show/visualize" the most "damage" due to the slit seeder... But it should turn out fine... Just keep it watered

9. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Correct. Thin grass will get damaged faster then thick grass. Looks bad but if you keep it water the lawn should come in nice next spring.

10. weekendDIY

from NJ

Watered??? Not a problem since I live in NJ and it has been raining for 8 straight days.

But that does bring up a question, with all of the rain does that tend to push the seed in or wash it away? I guess since I used a slice seeder it won't really matter but I would hate to help my neighbor after I break my back aerating and seeding when she does nothing what so ever.