Is it possible? Spin off of ripped off thread

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cajuncutter, Mar 31, 2001.

1. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I happened do look on yahoo auctions for used equipment for sale. I did a search and found nothing however, they had an option to see shindaiwa sold in the past. There was one item, an EB-45. So I click and what do I see?!?!?! I swear it is my old blower that was stolen. I start reading up on the seller as to where he is from. WEll the seller was just above me in Arkansas. It has been known for stolen equipment in my area to show up in east texas and south /south central Arkansas.
    Ofcourse at yahoo auctions you can not obtain an email address unless they post it. I have taken a chance by using the users name @yahoo.com to see if I can get in touch with the buyer. Wrote him a short note that included a detailed description along with the serial number. I hope that they are honest and reply back. I am not so worried about getting it back but I would love to nail the guy that sold it if indeed it is mine and if he is in the business of selling hot goods via internet. Oh well time will tell.

2. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck, Cajuncutter. This is a new spin on searching the pawn shops for stolen merchandise. I wonder if federal enforcement agencies could get involved since it involves interstate commerce, crossing state lines, using the telephone, mails etc?

Mick

3. cajuncutter

Good point!!! I wonder if that could indeed happen. Who knows the guy who bought it may never email me back to let me know if the numbers match. Then again if he does I will take some sort of action towards the seller to atleast find out where he got it from.

4. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

Good news for you all.... At my last job I tracked down an internal theif who was stealing laptops at work. That person also sold the items through yahoo and eBay. I called the buyer and got the serial number and it matched. Called the local police and they took care of it.. we got the equipment back (or what we wanted) and the thief got arrested. Now we let the buyer keep the equipment and swapped the hard disks out b/c of data on the disk.. but we already got insurance money. If your insurance didnt cover the loss then you can get the equipment back.

Good Luck and hopefully the buyer is honest.

5. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder where my stuff went then, as I am in south Arkansas? Probably Texas. But up here we all say it goes to Louisiana. :)

I sure hope you catch the guy.

Jim

6. cajuncutter

It all pretty much stays in the ARKLATEX area. They think they can take a little road trip to Texarkana or Longview and sometimes as far as Dallas and think they can get away with it. It most cases they do but I would love to nail the person that took it.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

At eBay contact someone via the SafeHarbor link and explain the situation.

8. cajuncutter

it was yahoo auctions not ebay...are they affiliated?

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Oops..thats what happens when I do too many things at once:(

Im sure yahoo has some sort of remediation that could help you out.

10. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

Since yahoo is free and takes no measures to verify any information they take no responsibility. Trying to get someone at yahoo to give a fu#k is going to be the road less traveled.

Getting a hold of the buyer is the only way to get resolution through yahoo auctions. I did the same thing using @yahoo.com and it took the guy a few days to get back to me since he didnt check his mail every day.