1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is it possible to do all granular

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grass disaster, Feb 3, 2006.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i am considering getting into the fertilizing a little more.

is it possible to do all applications in the granular form?

do they make a good weed killer in granular or is it all pretty much all pre-emergent products.
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Doing all granular is easy, actually preferred by most, that is until you get to the broadleaf weed control...

There are many "weed and feed" products out there, even Lesco has Momentum + fert. Problem is that most of the time the grass dosn't need fert when the weeds need to be killed. Also granular dosn't get nearly as good of contact with the plants as liquid can. It has to be applied when the grass (and weeds) are wet from dew or irrigation so it can stick onto the leaves. It's also pretty expensive.

How big are the lawns you are treating? Would it be possible for you to use liquids for weeds in a pump up type sprayer? Doing that you could walk the lawns with a backpack and hit weeds as you see them instead of doing a blanket application like you would with a larger tank sprayer. You would use less chemical and you are targeting the weeds better.
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

we have sold all of our skid sprayers and bought PG magnium's. like Jason said the granular fert is supiror to liquid, but when it comes to weedcontrol you cant beat liquid. that is what I like about the PG. You can do both at the same time. they also make a small sprayer you mount to your push spreader that is battery powered and holds 1 gal, enough to do a 5k lawn, more if your just spot treating weeds.
  4. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i do some pretty big lawns probably 2 acres and also a bunch of 1/4 acre lots

i would think they would of come up with a good granular product to kill weeds by now
  5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if you have enough lawns I would recomend getting a PG. some of the granular weed n feeds work well, but the grass has to be wet when applied. they are also much more expensive than liquid weed control so over time the PG would pay for itself!
  6. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

As Jason said, Lesco's Momentum W&F is a very good product, and there are many others out there. It's not that the products are not good, it's just that there are too many variables that must be met in order to get a good control on broadleafs.
    1. Grass has to be wet (limits spreading to morning time or having the cust turn on their irrigation)
    2. Cannot rain for 24 hours after application.
    3. Must get a decent amount of product on the plant leafs in order to control it (which is hard to do when applying with a rotary spreader!)

Liquid weed control is the only way to go!