Is it possible to fix a locked engine?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mark_the_psycho, Dec 14, 2006.

1. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

I have a feeling this is a stupid question, but I REALLY don't want to do an engine swap, so I'm asking it anyways. I have a Toro keylectric and while I was mowing my last lawn of the season (after which I was planning to change the oil) and it somehow sucked down all its oil and locked. I am fairly certain that this can't be fixed, but I'm hoping that I'm wrong.

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on "HOW" it locked up and how bad the cylinder walls and crankcase are damaged. If a Rod came loose and it is lodged adn that it eh reason it is locked, then it might be fixable. There may be other situations as well. Either way, you will not know until you open it up.

3. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

There is a chance that you can just reverse the direction of the engine and it will be alright.

When I was a young lad of 16 and I had my first car, it was a $200.00 beater, I forgot to add oil and eventually it seized. My Father took a large ratchet with a cheater bar and attached it to the crank shaft. After some work He was able to free the motor and I was stupidly back on my way. Many years later, I bought a mini go-kart for my kids that was also siezed up, it was a $600.00 go-kart from Sam's Club that was sitting in the back that was returned. It wouldn't turn over so they sold it to me for less than $200.00 and I took it home and reversed the direction of the motor and never had another problem with it.

This doesn't require you to tear the machine apart, just find the crankshaft and reverse the direction. Don't forget to add oil and you might be good to go. At least it is worth a shot. Good luck.

Walter

4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a lot of luck "un-freezing" engines - shoot a lot of WD-40 and oil into the cylinder before you try to rotate the crank. Sometimes it helps to let it sit overnight too.

5. desii

desii LawnSite Member

Ok, now you've sucked me in to this as I thought you had to replace a locked up motor. Most of the post are regarding smaller engines. Would this work on a 7.3 Diesel? It's a 1994 and sat most of the year, and unbeknownst (never typed that word before) to me, the oil pan had a rust spot and the oil leaked out over the summer. When I went to drive it, I got about 5 miles and then it "locked up". I wasn't sure what happened, but when I checked the oil, there wasn't any. So, I'm about to replace the motor, but I may try your methods. Since there aren't any plugs to remove for a lubricant, how would I soak the cylinders?

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Pull the glowplugs if you want to soak the cylinders, if the oil pan had a rust hole in it then water probably got in and rusted everything up, if that is the case then the engine is toast.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

soaking the cylinders down with penetrating oil will kill a diesel. Sort of like running it on gas instead of diesel. It does horrible things.

You would also need a huge ratchet and cheater bar to overcome your mass and 17:1 compression.

Good luck.