Is it possible to hook a trailer to a Prius?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Vikings, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Just throwing around some Ideas, maybe for next spring.

A light weight trailer, built for two 21" mowers, one behind the other. Trimmer rack for two trimmers and two blowers in the back seat.

And have a Prius tow it around. It would be very GREEN. Just for small residentials.

Can you even hook a trailer to a Prius, I'm not sure they even have a bumper.

Don't tell me Prius's are crap though because there are thousands of taxis using them for a few years now. They save gas and they save repairs.

The trailer would have to be LIGHT and maybe aerodynamic.

What do you think of this Idea?

Don't get me wrong, I'm still keeping a big truck and a Ranger. But I come across a lot of people that like GREEN. No pesticides, save the enviroment and another good one is if you advertise that you give a % of sales to some charity etc.

2. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

I think maybe if aluminum trailer it might work.
    not a bad idea with the gas and diesel prices are going:realmad:.
    $3.29 for diesel :realmad:

3. mower&more1986

find the lightest 21" mower you can get.
    Ive herd of ford focus pulling an atv trailer

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Diesel is $4 a gallon here and id pay $8 before you caught me pulling a rig with a PRIUS!

5. mower&more1986

6. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

2005 Toyota Prius Specifications as Tested
    Model Tested MSRP Toyota Prius ($20,875)
    Standard Equipment automatic climate control; cruise control; power steering; tilt steering wheel with redundant climate control and audio controls; front and rear variable-speed intermittent wipers; remote keyless entry; power windows, central locking and heated outside rearview mirrors; AM/FM/CD stereo; delayed accessory power shut off; 60/40 split folding rear seatback
    Destination Charge 540
    Options as Tested (MSRP) Package 6 ($5,065) includes VSC electronic stability control, fog lamps, HID headlamps, Smart keyless entry system, security alarm, Homelink programmable remote opener system, navigation system with steering-wheel controls, JBL ETR AM/FM/Cassette/6-Disc changer stereo, driver and front-passenger seat-mounted side airbags and front and rear side curtain airbags
    Gas Guzzler Tax
    Price as Tested 26480
    Layout front-wheel drive
    Horse Power 76 @ 5000 plus 67 @ 1200-1540
    Torque 82 @ 4200 plus 295 @ 0-1200
    Fuel Economy 60/51
    Wheelbase 106.3
    Length/Width/Height 175.0/67.9/58.1
    Track Front/Rear
    Turning Radius 34.1
    Seating Capacity 5
    Front Head/Hip/Leg room 39.1/51.0/41.9
    Middle Head/Hip/Leg room
    Rear Head/Hip/Leg room 37.1/51.6/38.6
    Trunk Volume 16.1
    Payload
    Towing Capacity not recommended
    Front Suspension independent, MacPherson struts, coil springs, anti-roll bar
    Rear Suspension torsion beam, coil springs, anti-roll bar
    Ground Clearance 5.9
    Curb Weight 2890
    Stock Tires P185/65R15 all-season
    Brakes Front/Rear ventilated disc/drum with ABS, EBD, Brake Assist, and integrated regenerative braking
    Fuel Capacity 11.9

7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Actually the ATV would probably pull more than the Prius. lol

8. Vikings

from canada

An aluminum trailer, just wide enough for a 21" mower and just long enough to place two 21"s, one behind the other. Strictly for the city.

I remember a guy on here that was comparing a 21" exclusive route he had to his other route that had the Z's going. He had much lower over head just toting around 21"s.

I know you still need big trucks and big mowers but even for a little guy like me I almost carved up my routes. If the season was longer, I was going to use my Ranger and 21's mowers for all the house where I only need them. Then use my Sierra and Trailer for the larger yards.

Not quite feasible for me because I don't have enough yards and season is almost over.

Gas prices are crazy. We pay about $4.50 a gallon up here.

9. Vikings

from canada

Do you know that? I've seen motorcycles hauling little trailers.

10. Vikings

from canada

Oh. Apparently you do.:laugh:

I still think it's good idea, and its just an idea.

Put 4 200 men in a Prius and you can drive like that for years. Taxis use them, those people are smart and make very wise consumer choices. Gas and repairs are their whole life. So I don't see why a little trailer and a couple 21" prolines and just two guys, couldn't be hauled around. LIke I said, Motorcycles have little trailers.

Priuses are made by Toyota, good stuff.