1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it really better to raise the blades in the summer to prevent browning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clydesdale, Jul 31, 2005.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I have always raised the blades up in july and august. I tell people that it is better for the lawn and will prevent drying out. Am i telling the truth or am i just passing on a myth that was told to me?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is exactly right. It keeps the rhyzomes shaded out of more hours of the day, and helps the grass hold more water. It also ensures that the root stays deeper and doesn't decline as much. you have to be careful, though. In some lawns, especially those with low potassium, the grass has a tendency to lay over and be weak and wimpy. When it does this, and it is cut too long, it actually gets hot and creates heat. This promotes fungus and burn. tru-brown/scamlawn yards are known for this.
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

LOL, that's about the best name for that company. Guys here are starting to refer to them as Tru-death. They moved into this area heavy this year and already I hear people complaining about them. I always have raised the cutting height in the summer as well.
  4. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

The chemical guys have done more destruction in our area than you can imagine too :D We try and wean our clients away from the drown your lawn in poison people but it's hard to do. We definitely mow taller in the hot weather and the lawns show it. Ours are green and fairly healthy even under the stress of 100 degree plus July days. We had an account right across the street from us until the man moved and sold his house to a young couple who take care of the lawn themselves. They water heavily but to no avail because they are mowing at 2 inches or so and the lawn is scalped in places.
    I'm not one to stick my nose in other peoples' business so I'll say nothing unless he asks me what the problem is.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Scott , is the fishing any good on the Payette ?
  6. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

hey guy i'm in zone 6 nj, is 3" a good hight for the summer? i cut at 2.75 in the spring. Most of my accounts are fine, just some that get a little more sun or arn't watered as much are showing up a little discolored.
  7. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

I think runner hit this one on the nose. When we had our dry smell the lawns i was mowin up on 3.5 dried out just as fast as those that were cut on 2.5 by homeowners. I began to think that it really didn't make a difference in the height but looking back most of those yards i cut are chem-dogged
  8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Almost all my accounts have irrigation systems so the "browning "is not as bad. I do cut at 3" in the summer and 2 3/4" spring and fall.