is it really worth it? (reel mower)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gil, Aug 1, 2005.

1. gil

gil LawnSite Member

I always wondered. How good are those push reel mowers??? ;) I used a reel mower while I worked at a golf course, but does it really do the job?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Some studies have shown that using one of those is better for the grass than a rotary mower. What a pain though. Only good an less than 1/4 acre in real short grasss! I have one!
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Agreed. I used one on a neighbors lawn when he ws away as a kid. Luckily very small yard. Actually was not that bad just took some getting used to. I wouldn't ever want to have to do a lrge area with one
  4. gil

gil LawnSite Member

If I use it in a couple of lawns no bigger than 1000 sf would be worth it?
  5. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a good push reel mower?
    I was thinking about getting a power one for some high end yards but they are way too much money for just a few yards.
  6. gil

gil LawnSite Member

I have that same problem, and I haven't seen anybody using those push reel mowers. They are not that cheap.
  7. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

My uncle has an old one from when he was a kid. If the grass is over about 4" forget it, it is a pain, and my neighbor has one for the practice green he made in his back yard. Try ebay, they might have some good deals.
  8. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't recommend using one for profit .. c
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

If using it to turn a profit, it may not look very professional. you can get one at home depot for about 60 to 80 bucks. I wouldn't get it though.
  10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

maintenance on reel mowers is a PITA, they use them on Golf courses for a reason... they cut extremely well when maintained. Would i use them for commercial work? hell no, the time in the shop to keep it in tune wouldn't out weigh the $ returned from work IMO