"Is It Really Worth it?"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greatdane612001, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Greatdane612001

Greatdane612001 LawnSite Member

I was wondering do you Think this is a good living or would you guys rather work doing something else and making more money,
    b/c I was looking back on how the season's went it went alright for my first year, I'm 20 year's old I went to school last fall and got my certification to be a firefighter, I need to go back and get my EMT-B so I can get on a Department, My truck broke down and it cost me about $700($1200 if you could how much work i'm missing out on!) and when i went to pick it up it would keep running and they said that they mite have it done Saturday and on the way home i was thinking Is his Sh*t really worth it's all cracked up to be??? Everyone around here drives new f-250's and f-350's all day and I just don't understand how they can do it I made abut $30,000 this year and I would like to see if I can make about $45,000 next season, But the Question Is"Is It worth it?" or would you think your better of doing something else??? :confused:

2. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

WOW!!! $30k the first year! I think I made $6k my first summer! This past summer was my 2nd year and I made about $16-18k. Yes I don't have a dime to my name from my business, but I got rid of a lot of debt so maybe I can go full time next summer. Stick with it and you will do good. Around my area, once your name gets known, you will make it good. Also, a lot of patience!! I still hold down a full time job, but hopefully that will come to an end in April! Go with what you like best. Be a fire fighter full time and mow on the side if you want. Several people do that and it gives you new vehicle and equipment money if you want and your other job will get you through the winter. Go with what you like best. Good luck!

3. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

The guy that got me started in this business is a cop like me. He started about 8 years ago with just his wife and himself. After a few years he got big enough (4 or 5 crews) that he lets his wife manage the money, he manages the crews and doesn't do any of the physical labor.

He tells me it was all worth it and he was very lucky to get quality crew leaders who can work without supervision. If there's a problem the crew leaders can usually handle it. He told me the other day he still likes police work and the fact his insurance is paid for, he'll probably keep doing as he is.

I don't know about the firemen in K.C.K. but here they start about 40K(some 50K), and work only 9 or 10 days a month. I know a few of them who have lawn business'es and they all think its worth it.

I guess it all depends on the goals you've set and what you want to accomplish.

Good luck.

4. Greatdane612001

Greatdane612001 LawnSite Member

Thanks I just need a little bit of support I'm like everyone else I hust get sick of Sh*t going down all the time:dizzy:

5. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Go make someone else thier first million and then see how you feel. This profession is like any other. You are not going to throw down 6 digits your first year. It takes time and a lot of dedication. People do this because they enjoy the work and are in control of their own destiny.

Did you have to answer to anyone when you screwed up working for yourself? To really appreciate being the boss, you need to go work for someone else and see how powerless you feel.

If wealth is a desire, education is another means to this end.

6. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Another suggestion. If you decide to stick with the mowing, keep your old equipment until you decide what you need then buy accordingly. Look around at some of the other lawn care people and see their setups for ideas for yourself too. If you have to, buy used mowers that are in good condition until you are set financailly to buy new. There are a lot of people in KC area doing great in their lawn care business so there is lots of potential.

7. Simply Green

Simply Green LawnSite Member

You've got a great situation GreatDane.......I know several firefighters that cut grass also and make very good money.You'll have the perfect schedule 24 on,48 off once you get on the dept.Get EMT certified and get on the dept as soon as you can.I would never leave the fire dept to become a full time LCO either.You'll have great benefits being a firefighter not to mention a 2nd family.Anyway,you did great your first year so just think about what you'll be making doing both.Whew,could buy whatever truck you wanted to then.I'd still rather have slighty used one instead of a brand new myself though.Keep up the good work!

8. goose

goose LawnSite Member

Yes I think its worth it ,get on with the fire dept if thats what you want.Thats what I did from 1992 until 1999 . I didnt start cutting grass until 94 and that was because I had to do something with all of my time off. Leaving the fire service was the hardest thing I have ever done. I was doing about 60,000 a year and thought ,hey I can make a living at this. I will do about $800,000 this year.Yes it is worth it .You did $30,000 your first year,the key to growing it is not just adding customers , but keeping the ones you got and adding. Things will get better , theres a lot of guys on here who are more successful at there business than I am . I sure they agree with me ,its worth .Good luck Goose

9. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Do both...........I'm not sure where you're from but here it seems they give out new walkbehinds when you get your turn-out gear :p

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Get used to it buddy, that's life! Not every day is a walk in the park, regardless of what you do.
    You either want to be your own boss, or work for someone else. It's not even about what you do, it's how you do it. Comparing your own business to being a fireman is apples to oranges. Your young, you have alot of life to live. My personal advice to you, don't spend half your life making someone else money like I did. Make it for yourself. Don't kid yourself, the fire department is run like a business and it provides a service for the community just like every other business. So you are making them money. The difference is they get it in tax dollars. They have salaries to cover, overhead, fixed expenses, equipment costs, etc.

Good luck with it and have fun at whatever you do. If I could do it all over, well, that's too late now, I lost 15 good years working for others. :(