1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is it really worth it?....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Dec 12, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

As you might know, I am considering a new hydro WB for next year to use instead of the JD tractor and am having a hard time convincing myself that buying a WB would really be that much better.

I am seriously considering a Snapper 52", 17hp hydro WB (manual start). I know Snapper isn't widely used but I like the loop handles and the dealer is right next to my JD and Echo dealer and both are about 20 minutes from my house. For about $4200 I would gain 14" in cutting width, and get a real commercial mower. However I would loose the electric start and have to walk. I could get a sulky but I am still not sitting.

Do I really want to stand or walk all day after shelling out $4000+? I could get a seat option but then I'm looking at an additional $400-$450 over the price of the mower. I would have to spend about $5000 to be able to sit behind the WB but I still loose the electric start (compared to the tractor). How many of you stand on sulkies all day? How's your back?

Is a WB really that much better than the tractor?

Thanks,

Joel B.

2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

yes. other that the lack of sitting.

3. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scag 52inch with a vielke and its WAY quicker than the garden tractor, i've even tested it side byside with a tractor lawn mower and me just walking it was way faster.
    It isnt that bad standing on the thing all day. Yeah gets alittle sore at times but its not bad at all. Fun also. You will get used to standing. Pull start isnt a problem, so dont worry about not getting the electric start, only if your getting a bigger motor, thats what my dealer told me.
    Matt

4. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Pull start is no big deal.. The electric start adds expense to the mower, is more pieces that can break and possibly contacts to get wet in bad weather, etc.. Pull start is no biggie. I've found that the mower is still warm from job to job in the summer so starting it is usually a 1/2 to 3/4 pull with no choke cause the engine is still so warm..

I had a small 30" JD RX-75 rider and went to a 32" Exmark Metro walk behind with a pro-slide (no-wheels sulky)

The time increase for me gaining 2 (TWO) inches and the ability to turn around was substantial..

Now I'd love to get a 48 or a 52 Hydro wb for the larger props, but just the added manueverability of a wb is worth it for you.

After all if lawn tractors were so good, they would make them in all SORTS of styles from Exmark, Hustler, Ferris, Dixie Chopper, etc..

But they don't.
    It's either a WB (many choices) or a ZTR (again, many expensive choices).

No one on here compares their sears crasftman 44" tractor to the 48" Exmark Turf Tracer with good reason. <G>

Gary

5. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on the size lawns u service. when i first started my father and i had two farm tractors with finish mowers on them. well those days are long gone and i would never go back. unless your cutting 5 acre lawns i can't see a tractor being more practical than a WB. not to mention the cut on a WB is far superior. most of the time i'm on a lawn for an hour at the most. plus the walking keeps u in good shape.

6. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Does the phrase "Quantum Leap" mean anything to you?

Keep the engine in good tune and you won't miss the electric starter. A velke or jungle wheels is relatively cheap and riding standing up is much easier than you might at first think. And the versatility compared to anything in the homeowner's market will amaze you.

Make the jump!!

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, the physical activity of walking all day is good for the heart. Seems like more and more people have heartattacks nowadays. Although this business is tough somedays, you are still better off than sitting behind a desk. We basically get paid to excercise, and I'm not giving some health club my money.

8. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Joel I stand all day, but when you think about ti (depending on how big the lawn is) It really not much time on the mower. Besides in a year you can move into a ZTR. My back is fine.Ive been doing this 5yrs now and only use WB and have no problems.Why not look at Lesco, 52/19 kaw with the ES a stand up war chariot for 4000$. What I just bought.

9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Joel

Check with your dealer but I think you can get that 52 with 20-21?hp kohler with electric start. I dodn't know the price difference. You will be happier with the extra HP and you get the ES you like. Then ad a Stand up sulky. You pic ythe brand/type. they are almost all better than waklking.

10. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Paul,

Are you referring to a Snapper 52" w 20-21hp Kohler? My dealer didn't know of any larger motors for the 52". Have you seen one?

Thanks,

Joel B.