Is It Safe To Work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gatewayuser, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I got stung 16 times on my legs and once on my hand yesterday evening by ground hornets while trimming a lawn, you talk about some serious hurt. My legs and hand are super swollen and itch like crazy. You can bet those bees are going to be sorry they stung me :angry:. So whats the best way to get rid of them :help: ? It was such a terrible week and day, I also got burnt by my mower muffler, had my tiller fall off my trailer and destroyed, ran over a piece of carpet in some tall grass with doubles hi lift and gator blades (that took for ever to get off) and the axle on my sulky snapped. I guess it could of been worse, but it still makes you afraid to leave the house. I hope everyone else had a better week than me! :waving:

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

dude--you need some benadryl, BAD! then you need a drink and a day off.

BTW...don't drink and do benadryl at the same time.

GEO :waving:

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

my problems where nothing

sorry dude

4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I took 2 benadryl hopefully it will help. I'm on a voly fd and on a run today an emt asked why my hand was swollen so bad and he said I need to take something and see a doc.

5. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

dont forget to get some payback, I never leave a hornet nest unmolested if ive been stung. I usually just get some of my weedeater gas and poor it into the hole after they have calmed down. It kills them instantly.

6. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Dude, that rates pretty high on the "suck factor". Use that bees freeze stuff. That's what i use. Why do the damn ground bees get so aggressive this time of year?

7. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Pour some gas in the hole before you mow or trim. Take a shovel full of dirt to cover hole after you fill it with gas.

8. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

This is the time of year they nest in the ground to prepair for winter. I have seen alot this time of year . Seen some the other day after I mowed over them. I dont know why I didnt get attacked but at least I know where it is.

9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Dump some gas down their little hole, and let em feel the love too. if they come after ya, just park the mower over the hole, and let the blades do the work.

10. twindiddy

twindiddy LawnSite Member

Susan was picking up some grass on a clean up the other week. Unfortunately that pile of grass was on top of an ant hill. By my guess, I'd say she was bit about 50 times.

Same clean up. Got the JD w/b stuck in what I thought was a mound of dirt. Sulky dug most of the way in the ground. After the Z pulled me out, I was looking at the sulky and notice it moving. That's right, moving. I counted about 35 gazillion ants swarming it. Break time!