is it stealing work...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Sep 24, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

if a landscaper moves into a neighborhood where you work, then does freebies as favors to his neighbors that you cut?

2. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

No its called stupid. :dizzy:

3. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe he's just being neighborly? Like other favers you would do for your neighbors it just happens to be what he does for a living. Just a thought.

4. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Sucks for you, but he might be trying to grease the neighbors a bit so they don't b!!ch about his equipment being parked in the hood. I would call it preventative maintenance.

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Yeah, it is pretty foolish.

The only people that get free work from me are my in-laws -- and they've earned it.

6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

you don't think this guy had motives?

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

He's giving away the services? Can't really call it stealing, that's taking lowballer to a new level though.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Adam, that is a hard one to guess without really knowing the person. He might have been doing this free work to be nice or it could be to get his foot in the door. Just try and be nice and see what happens.

Gravely_Man

9. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

He might have motives. Guess you'll find out later. If so it could haunt him later. I don't do business with my neighbors bacause it can cause bad realtions. And then your stuck living next to them. I might do favors or help them do something the same as they will and have for me. But no charging.

10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Unfortunately, probably so.

Maybe you should follow him around and do free work for his customers? ;)