Is it the heat?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, Jul 12, 2005.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

It's really hot here in Toronto Canada...This week my Stihl trimmer started acting up. It would run for around ten minutes and then just shuts off like I'm grounding it out...I changed the plug right away and it ran find for a day and then it did exactly the same thing. Onto my back-up trimmer, my Honda 4 cycle that idles smooth but seems to want to die when I give it throttle. The Honda was sitting in my basement for two years so I'm thinking it's either the fuel filter is gummed or the plug is bad?

any help would be great...Oh and my lawnboy gave me grief this week too but I don't want to talk about it for fear of jinxing it...

2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you using premium or high octane 2 cycle mix??
    My dealer says we should be and after reading Echo's manual they agree.

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I think the fuel cap isn't vented or you need a new one.
    I lost the little rubber bubble in my Robin trimmer cap before it started getting hot.
    My dealer sold me a new cap that was supposed to be the replacement. It looks like an Echo cap except it's black.
    It started getting really hot the next week and my trimmer was slow to rev and would drop in rpm in a heartbeat while running.
    It was still under warrantee so I took it in. They never told me what was wrong.
    The temps cooled off and it hasn't really done it like before.
    I noticed last week when it was really hot that my fuel cap was unscrewed, twice. I also noticed it fizzed like a pop can when I would unscrew the cap to add fuel.
    The second time I noticed the fuel cap unscrewed was when I turned it over to edge a long sidewalk and poured fuel all over my leg.

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

these little fuel caps can cause some headaches, huh? loose alittle rubber gasket, and you get mix on ya. put a small piece of plastic to stop the leak, and your machines shuts off from no venting (fuel starvation).
    i'd try that first.