is it the valve?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bigH2Obill, Sep 24, 2007.

1. bigH2Obill

bigH2Obill LawnSite Member

I'm not a professional, and not an exceptionally gifted DIY'er, but I think the valve is the problem and that I can probably handle it. The water man knocked this morning and let my wife know that our bill was going to be huge and we had to have a leak somewhere. It's been so dry here that I haven't noticed any damp spots, until now. There's a leak from the lowest sprinkler head, and I think it's because the valve won't close all the way. They're rainbird heads, manual turn. Unfortunately I can't just cut the water off to the sprinklers without cutting it off for the entire house. I took a pic of the valve, and you can see that it's not perpendicular, and I can't turn it further. Does it need replaced, or can it be repaired, and what exactly am I getting myself into? Thanks very much in advance for any help!

222152420070924Image0001.JPG

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Is this the valve you use to turn on the sprinklers?

3. bigH2Obill

Yes...quarter turn counter-clockwise to turn on.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Then yes, it is possibly that valve. I think the valve is turned enough to be off, but the seats may be seeping.

Weird way to turn on your sprinklers. No back flow protection here? No sprinkler valves?

5. bigH2Obill

There are two of them, one controls the heads on the left side of the house, the other (this one) the right. That's why I thought this was it...you can look at both of them side-by-side and see that this one isn't closed as much, and since it controls the water for the heads on the side where I have the leak I figured that was the problem.

I just dug this hole less than an hour ago, and can see the water seeping from the drain holes in the casing.

2007_0924Image0003.jpg

6. bigH2Obill

If I get in there, is it like replacing the seats and springs on a faucet? I assume that cap on top will come off to give me access?

7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you could have a leaky toilet too...when i turd-hurd i will always hear water running into a septic tank when nobody is home to run any water...so what you can do is before you go to bed shut the water off where it enters your house...then when you wake up turn it back on, if you hear any toilet filling itself back up that means water leaked out overnight and you need to fix that.

8. Dirt Digger2

from PA

if you replace that valve its kind of a big job...you have to dig up about 3 feet on either side of the valve to get a good bit of play in the pipe, cut the valve out then put a coupler and short piece of pipe on the cut piece to get it back to original length...then comes the hard part, you have to bend the pipes up without snapping them to get the new valve in there. Make sure you use a good primer and glue. You could use a fernco but i dont like using them one pressurized pipe. I fix a lot of broken 2" and 4" sewer lines like this, its a tough job if you have to dig it all by hand but it is possible.

9. bigH2Obill

No septic tank. I've checked the toilets...not like that, but with some color tablets, and no color in the bowl. I'm pretty sure it's the sprinkler since I've got about a gallon of water next to it in a hole that isn't very old, and can see the water coming out of the sprinkler.

10. Dirt Digger2

from PA

if you can find a slip coupler use that instead of a regular one, this will save you from having to do a lot of extra digging and bending of pipe...just make sure you have a really good seal or you will leak more water then you are now.