Is it time to seed yet?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Or is it too early yet? When is the perfect time... if there is one?

To my surprise one of my (newest) customers yard was aerated and seeded when I went there today.... It may have been Tru-Green???

2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

That kind of sucks you didn't get the call to do that job!!! Best times to seed are spring and fall. You can plant grass any time, but you have to have the right amount of water. Hope this helps.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

don't live in maryland, but i'm guessing now, as I seed sept 15-oct 15 if possible. fescue blends in fall, we do bermuda in spring after 1st frost. dave g

4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

By far the most recommended time to overseed is the fall as far as turf-type fescue is concerned. The primary reason behind this is that the cooler temps serve two-fold; seed will germinate (soil temps above 65-70 degrees) and the fine new roots will not burn and die. With a fertilization plan the root system will beef it's self up over the winter months and will survive the summer temps the following year alot more readily.
    If you overseed in the spring you're probally going to lose most of the plants during the first months of hot weather (even if irrigated) due to a immature root system (small and close to the surface, allowing it to dry out rapidly) that can't take the constant stress of hot weather.
    I would say never overseed in the summer, your wasting your time and your client's money (even if irrigated).
    I am sure this doesn't hold true with all turf seed, but I only use turf-type tall fescue and this is what I've learned through books and experience.