Is it time to start doing Spring-Cleanups?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wglawncare, Feb 9, 2006.

1. wglawncare

wglawncare LawnSite Member

I was just approached by one of my existing cutomers to do a spring cleanup. The lawn looks terrible. I did a fall-cleanup but many more leaves have come down since it 1st snowed here in Wisconsin. I am going to attend a meeting in his neighborhood with ALL of his neighbors and I want his yard to look good. Is it time yet where I should do something or should I wait till it gets warmer and more towards spring. I really need an answer ASAP! Thanks for all the help..

2. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say if the customer will pay for it and the lawn needs it I would do it. Provided it would not harm the turf (frost) or damage any perennials. Alot of it depends on the temp at present time and the forcast. I was planning on starting some commercial clean-ups next week. Forcast in 60's, cutting back Pampas grass and day lilies. I am waiting on the first mowing though until March.

3. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i wouldnt run mowers on the lawn this late in the winter though . how are you cutting back daylillies at all or this time of year? :dizzy: :dizzy:

4. robertsturf

I haven't yet. If you read my post I said I was thinking about starting next week. It depends on how the long range forecast looks. We already have emerging perennials showing. When I do start cutting them back I use a gas powered hedge trimmer. A lot cleaner than by hand.

5. wglawncare

I wold just mainly be focusing on the leaves and not cutting back any plants or bushes. If I were just to handrake the lawn, would there be any problem with that? Would there be any harm working on it that way. And what would be the effects of using the mower on it.

6. robertsturf

Hand raking or blowing the leaves into piles would be fine. Running a heavy mower over the lawn would leave tire tracks and possible cause winter damage due to the lawn being in dormancy.

7. wglawncare

Does anyone else have any opinion on this matter?

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's not spring, it is winter.

I get those calls asking me to mow too but I don't run my mowers in winter and that's all there is to it.

Be glad to come out and blow the yard off with the backpack or the pushblower.
    That does one of two things:
    - They readily agree that blowing appears to be the better choice and I get 50 bucks / hour blowing until it's clean.
    - They are disappointed I won't come out and clean up leaves and mess for the same price it costs to cut their grass in the summer.

Either way, the problem is fixed.

9. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

use a blower you'll end up better off.

10. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

We just did one 8 days ago, Most all perennials get cut down in fall.