Is it time to Thatch???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastrunner, Mar 23, 2002.

1. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

Hi, i am from the chicago area and was wondering if it is time to start thatching and aerating.. it seems like it wouldnt cause we just had two inches of snow on the ground yesterday and now its 48 degrees and sunny. so i thought about working today but then its going to snow again for tomarrow!!! im so sick of this weather. well, just wondering when the thatching season is around here? thanks.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Yes to both, but a lot depends on the soil conditions...if it's too wet, your core plugs become mud real quick and you make a mess.

Dethatching when it's too wet becomes a pain too (especially if you're vacuuming up the thatch) at the same time.

3. fastrunner

even when the ground is cold is it ok to thatch and aerate right now?
    Have you guys in the illinois, indiana, ohio, michigan area start working yet with thatching and aerating.?? thanks.

4. Commander

Commander Banned

I honestly would not thatch now if I was you. Best time to thatch a lawn is late summer / early fall. If you power-rake a lawn now do you realize how much damage you will do to the turf, as well as how many weed seeds you will be giving the perfect conditions for growth? If I was you, I would let the snow falls come to an end. Then when you do your spring clean-ups, rake the lawn with either a steel tine rake, or a rake that you can get for your lawn mower. By doing this you will help to supress the effects of snow mold.

5. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't start yet. The news said we would likely get 2-5" of accumulation tomorrow:(

6. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We verticut our lawns in the spring and/or fall, depending on schedule and need for the lawn. I would rather do it in the fall, but sometimes the fall weather can be screwy too.

Right after we verticut and do the spring clean up, our pre-emergent goes down. We wait as long as possible to aerate, since there is a schism in the reseacrch world as to whether aerating decreases the efficacy of the pre-emergent. So aerating will begin in late April up to about the third week of May as it fits into the schedule.

We'll repeat this cycle in the fall accordingly, less the pre-emergent. Only then we'll usually aerate first and then verticut on the next visit to break up the plugs faster.

7. millsmowing

millsmowing LawnSite Member

Fastrunner

I'm from michigan and will begin thatching this week. The weather here is still cold but work has to be started soon.

8. fastrunner

well, just like i thought, two inches of snow on the ground as i type this!!! I was going to start thatching and cleaning up on monday... Looks like i will have to wait huh.. what do you guys think?? should i start right after the snow is gone cause its gonna be 50 this weekend. or wait til next week. thanks.
    :mad: