1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it to early to aerate?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lasher66, Mar 22, 2006.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few customers that want there lawn aerated and overseeded before the grass starts to grow. I read in a few other threads that aerating should be done when the grass is growing good. Just wondering if it was to early to aerate? thanks

2. TeamLawnCare

TeamLawnCare LawnSite Member

I started up the aerators today and aerated my lawn. (one section still had snow on it but I didn't do that section) I would say you are fine.
  3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I disagree with TeamLawnCare. The grass should be actively growing. I think it's too early to aerate in Toledo.
  4. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I agree still too early
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The grass should be actively growing.
  6. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

So should I tell the customers to wait till the grass is growing before they overseed and aerate? Or can they overseed it now and then aerate later? Most people like to aerate before overseeding though.

7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Wait another week. Then Aerate.
  8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Aerating accomplishes several goals...

1. Decrease compaction
    2. increase air and water infiltratin into the soil profile
    3. The cutting of the roots and root hairs

You want the roots to be actively growing so that when the holes are open the roots will grow into the holes and spawn off shoots and more roots thus thickening the root stand. If you aerate too early the holes in the soil, aka mud, will close up and not allow the grass plants to spread and increase their stand density.
  9. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Its really best to do both in the late summer/early fall, If your over seeding and you want to do that first, you can do that now. I would use a slit seeder of some type. When you aerate in the spring it seems to invite more weeds. There is a pre-emergant that can be used when seeding but its expensive, and dosen't work as well as ones you use when not seeding.
  10. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

first week of april looks like it would be the best time right now. with the temps staying around 40 more damage than good and you won't be able to core as deep. aerate then over seed.