Is it to early?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AllSeasonsAllReasons, Apr 3, 2001.

1. AllSeasonsAllReasons

AllSeasonsAllReasons LawnSite Member

I see true green out everywhere i look in my area doing applications on lawns! So i am driving by a local nursery and there sing says "Its to early to put fertilizer down come in and ask the pro's!!" So who is wrong?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Pre-M should be put down before the soil temperatures reach 50 degrees.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We had Big brown putting down applications almost three weeks prior to the last big storm we had twoo weeks back.

Although I agree with Eric, I think that two months in advance of the season is a l-i-t-t-l-e bit too e-a-r-l-y in my book.

I try to get them down after clean-ups so that the poer raking and aerations wont brek the vapor barriers.

Mow-N-Go LCO
    Kris

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I should of included that also Kris. Aerating, dethatching, should be done first, but I agree two months ago is toooooo early. This just means that the protection it is supposed to give will end 2 months earlier than it would if it was applied at the correct time. It also means that any of the lawns they did back then shouldn't be aerated or power raked, but of course, they are the experts. ;)

5. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

I've heard it stated that Chemlawn only gets 60% of there applications out in the correct time window. 20% are to early and 20% are to late. If you have X amount of accounts and only X amount of days in the correct time window, someone loses, and it's Chemlawn losing thier customers to us.

Oh Thank You Mighty Chemlawn, Thy Great One. All the way to the Bank.