Is it to late to overseed bermuda in Georgia?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G. Ramey, Jun 13, 2011.

1. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

Is it to late to overseed bermuda in Georgia? I have a nice sodded lawn that has been taken over by clover. Two years ago I told the caretaker about the clover and he didn't want anything done about it. Now it has taken over the whole yard. I want to kill the clover and overseed, but I'm afraid it is to late. We have had 90 degree plus temperatures for over twenty days now. Watering wont be a problem. If I can't overseed now what would be my best course of action? Thanks.

2. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

Look into HYDROSEEDING.

3. tuffram

tuffram LawnSite Senior Member

Wait until early spring next year. Aerate, over seed, fert/weed preventer, and lime to raise ph content for Bermuda to stay healthy. Make sure to wait until after the last frost and temperatures start rising into the 80's Bermuda goes into a dormant state in the winter and will start to green up after the start of warm weather.Bermuda seed normally takes 6 to 10 weeks to properly germinate.

4. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

What about getting rid of the clover?

5. tuffram

tuffram LawnSite Senior Member

Use weed & feed fert works well on clover for my personal Bermuda.

6. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

2,4 D
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

Dicamba will work on the clover, as for overseeding Bermuda likes hot weather. We overseeded just last week in North Central Oklahoma and we have been high 90's to 100 degrees. If plenty of water it should grow.

8. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with this. Kill the Clover then seed. The warmer the ground temp the faster the germination on Bermuda.

Right now is when fertilized and watered Bermuda is jamming. Unless you really have a ton a Clover and very little Bermuda, I do not think you would even need to reseed after you kill the Bermuda. Kill the the weeds first then look and see how much Bermuda there is. One spot of Bermuda inside a Hula Hoop will fill in after a couple of months if fed and watered.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Wtf is it with you homeowners in the *(&%$^ Business Owner's Section!

If I had things my way I'd kick every last one of you, or at the very least move your threads where it belongs.

I mean come on, do I walk into your living room asking you if it's all right to have sex with your wife?
    Because I find this just as rude and vulgar!

10. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Which one of us are you accusing of being a home owner? :D