Is it to late to sod tiff

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by curry, Aug 19, 2003.

1. curry

curry LawnSite Member

I live in Central Texas. I just built a house and was going to hydrospray my yard but have elected to sod a Bermuda tiff. I will have a sprinkler system so watering will not be a problem. My question is, is it to late to sod in the middle of September. We wont get our first freeze until sometime towards the middle to end of December. It will probably stay above 90 until the middle of October. My builder said that he had tiff sodded in January and it did fine. I dont want to spend all this money on sod and it not take. However, if I wait till next spring all my dirt will be washed away. I am still about 3 months away from being able to plant rye grass because it stays so hot here for so long. What is yalls input.
  2. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

Builders lay Bermuda sod here 12 months a year with no problem - at least no problem caused by the time of year. I'd go for it because 1) it should do fine and 2) you don't want to loose soil to erosion. A poorly graded or eroded yard will cause big problems for Bermuda.
  3. KLM N.C.

KLM N.C. LawnSite Member

Go ahead ,no problem at all,you have more growing weeks left than N.C.I do it in the winter,and was one of the first to do it in the winter,other companies call me!!(I didn't know you could do it in the winter,shouldn't you wait to spring?)I can't give away all my secrets I went to NCSU for,can I?Water it if your not getting rain.
  4. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

we just sodded our yard with tifway 419. no problems, we got the greenest grass in the subdivision. you should not have any problems if you sod it now
  5. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I will be sodding in about two weeks. What is your suggestion on the fertilizer to apply once its sodded?