Is it to late?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by walteraguthrie, Jun 4, 2005.

1. walteraguthrie

walteraguthrie LawnSite Member

Hey guys I just joined the forum today and I have a question. I just got into the lawn care and some people are telling me it's already too late into the season and I was wondering what you guys think, I live in Russellville Arkansas and the population is about 23k. Also, any tips you guys have would be nice. Thanks for you time.

2. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

anybody on this site will tell that it is never too late. get your name out there as soon as possible and do nice work.

good luck

3. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

Yeah we are handing out flyers tomorrow for the first time. We just started. Good Luck.

4. youngbuck

youngbuck LawnSite Member

ive been cutting sence april and flyering sence march and i picked up 4 customers in the last two weeks! and not to tute my own horn but 2 of them where becaouse of how good of jobs we did on my other accouts once u get rolling make sure u do a good job the best advertisment is word of mouth you do a good job and they will tell ten of their freinds do a bad job they will tell one or two people what a bad job you did just flyer the heck out of all your neibor hoods its never to late good luck.

5. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I'm putting out 2500 flyers next week. This is my first year and the only goal I have for this year is to get customers for next year. I'll be marketing until the last day of the season and probably after the season is over.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's the best attitude, then if it is a little late, no problem.
    Those guys telling you it's too late, they just don't want your competition :)
    Good Luck!

7. stimpy

stimpy LawnSite Member

Walter start now. I was going to start last aug/sep but waited till this spring. I wish I would have started last fall. You will learn so much that I dont think you will want to put it off. Simple things you would not have thought of. Plus you will have picked up a bunch of lawns this year that will carry over next year and you will have a better start next spring. This way you can regroup next winter and make any changes you need.

8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Picked up a new customer yesterday while out cutting. Their LCO said it was too hot and he had to pack it in. For a fact it is damnable, not a dry stitch hot already. Still a long way from a full schedule but every new one helps. Hope this happens a lot more.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Definitly start advertising. You might not have allot of mowing accounts this year but definitly will get allot of odd job type. Shrubs, Aeration, Thatching, General Cleanup, Trash runs, Tree and shrub removal and such.
    Barrly made it my first year with 5 or 10 accounts (cant remember) but with the extra one times I pulled through only loosing like 4 grand or so. This year (4th) We are 2x what last year was allready. I am turning down some onetimes and trying to line out a parttime employee since the aerating side is doing so well.

10. oakwood

oakwood LawnSite Member

Sildoc-
    Just a question? How many accounts do you have now were you need to add help? Is there a point around 60-70 were solo isn't enough? Thanks