Is it to late?????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sprks1979, Apr 13, 2006.

1. sprks1979

sprks1979 LawnSite Member

is it to late in the season to start trying to get accounts? i have the equipment now and was just curious if it is a lost cause this season?

2. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

it's never too late. it's probably starting to get hot where you are at and people will realize they don't want to do the work themselves. send out as many flyers as you can! i didn't start until mid july last year...ended up with 11 customers before the year was done.

good luck!

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

many people already have the lawncare taken care of many do not..... many will not like there current lco and look for a new one when they dont show up or do bad work.....
    get out there and sell

4. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

You can still get a few, but warning you will end up biding on propertys that have alot of trim work or bumpy with a lot of hills. Most of what the other contractors bid high on are left over and owners are scrambling to get someone for their first cut.
    Make sure you bid for your time spent at the property. Just look at one lastnight 2 acers with a pool, long fences and not one section of flat ground.
    So i said to the owner how long did it take the last contactor to do it? He said about two hours the first time and after they get a system down about a hour and 15 mins.. I was thinking more like two men two hours after we get a system down. Man there was alot of trim work plus if we had a rain i counldn't cut some of the property due hills and wet lands. Just seems to be a head ache waiting to pop up. So i will over bid this one to what i think it is worth and move on.
    Don't under bid your self, you time is not free....

5. A1A Lawn Care

A1A Lawn Care LawnSite Member

well said, im even going to take that advice

6. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

When we first started we didn't even start until the end of April. We ended up with a good amount of accounts. Granted they were all over the place and we did a ton of advertising. I would say no that it is not to late to start.

7. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

It's never to late.... It's never to early.

So if you start mid summer are you getting a jump on the next year or starting late? Kinda like asking if the glass is half full / empty. It's both.

Best of luck this year.
    All_Clear

8. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

its not to late im going to give my dad money and say put our company in the paper since he is not doing it hinself.:hammerhead: :angry: :realmad: