Is it too big of a risk, or a good investment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by r_snowrider, Aug 2, 2005.

1. r_snowrider

r_snowrider LawnSite Member

Ok I have already asked to many questions already. But you guy are wise. I just want to see if you guys think it is a good investment to move into the fall cleanup business. I already own a large dump trailer and do hauling and cleanup. And I am investing 2500 in a 16hp leaf loader and mount and another 1000 in 2 redmax blowers. Do you think the investment is too big of a risk. Or do you think it will be a good investment. I have been told by many on this site that these pieces of equipment are the most efficient for the job. So I might as well do it right. I already have tarps, rakes and all the other small stuff. What do you guys think of the investment. My city could use it I think, we only have one pickup day in October. And we have quite a few trees. I am just making sure before I step into the unknown. Thanks

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

It's really a moot point now though isn't it, because you said in another post that you "already have bought the Lesco 16HP Leaf Loader". So it's too late for wondering now, now you'll have to make it work.

For me personally, I would have lined up the work FIRST, and then bought the equipment, instead of the other way around.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I fyou have never done it before, just limit yourself the frist year to the number of yards you can do with what you have. I have been folowing your treads closley and reding the posts because i find the info useful. I think that you aren't exactly comfortable with spending that kind of money without knowing if it will be justified. The trees aren't going anywhere and niether is the mess. Also if in the middle of the fall, you get lots of responses, you can always get it then too. It's not worth the risk if you are uncertain. Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't, and good luck. Just noticed, that you alredy bought it from post by MMLawn, sorry.

4. r_snowrider

Well I ordered the loader into the store. Which is basically buying it. But haven't ordered the blowers yet. But if I don't like the looks of it I can make my case and not buy the loader and pay them to ship it back.
    I have a lot of confidence that it will work, but I am a really cautious person. But damnit I still live with my parents so it's a good time to try. I figure if it doesn't work out I can sell my equipment in spring, take the loss, and not look back. I just really want the experts opinions. Thats why I have made so many posts, because I value your opinions. Maybe a little peace of mind I hope too.

5. r_snowrider

I'm gonna go this week or next and talk to as many businesses as I can to perhaps get some work setup before the season starts

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

why not offer the city your services as well.

bottom line is that is not a lot of money if there is any market at all. Life expectancy on those machines should be 3-4 years.

7. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I think that it is a good investment. You have already determined that your city needs it and I assume that you can get a fair price for your services.

But the best equipment in the world won't do you a bit of good unless you have the marketing to back it up. You need to get the word out.

8. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

there is alot of money to be had in a leaf removal service .. and every year the leaves fall off the trees .. with the equipment you have you should be able to turn a profit np .. I wouldn't worry too much about the leaf jobs they will start piling up before you know it ..justtakes a little strategic advertising and good word of mouth ... good luck to you ...c

9. r_snowrider

You guys are awesome. I am gonna give it my all and put a lot of time into marketing. Hopefully I can make some junk removal customers for the spring as well. I was down in my garage yesterday and I looked over at my snowmobile that I paid 3500 dollars for and thought, that will never turn a profit for me and I didn't hesitate to buy that. So if I'm so willing to put big money into my toys, why can't I put some money into a potentially good investment. Hell, maybe I can buy a new toy someday from the profits I turn. Good luck with all your business ventures and thanks for the words of encouragement.

10. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with most guys said, there's money to be made. I'm almost RELYING on fall clean-ups padding my bank account. Many people really really want to get rid of the mess. If your efficient you can do a 1/2 acre yard in roughly an hour and our minimum price is $250 a pop.