Is it too big?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smlavin, Nov 22, 2004.

1. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

Attention: Deere owners with a 48" deck (Z or stander).

Are you able to get your machines through most 4' backyard gates? It appears the Deere 48" deck is 4 or 5 inches wider than an exmark. I like the 647 QuikTrak but a mower that spends half it's life on the trailer is little use to me.

2. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

when i use it for that purpose yes it does :)

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if you are not going to use the mower, or only use the mower for one job then why bother

4. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

tiedeman,

That is the point. I am starting to expand my residential service and I don't want to purchase a mower that won't allow me access to the rear of the many gated back yards in this area. I prefer a 48" cut because I believe it is the best compromise for the type of lawns I service, but evidently there is enough difference in deck size (4 or 5 inches) that some 48" decks could go almost anywhere where some may not be able to. That is why I wanted to hear from those who actually face these situations with the Deere deck.

All things being equal I would like to purchase the Deere stander (Wright dealers are 3 hours away!) but that few inches may determine that I go with another brand and style (Z).

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

oh, now I understand smlavin. Sorry about that