1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it too busy?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by m&mmowing, Oct 18, 2008.

1. m&mmowing

m&mmowing LawnSite Member

Please check out my website. I may have too many pages, and I want to add one more, before and after pictures after i get them. Please give me any insight and suggestions you may have to make this better. Thanks
  2. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you have too many pages. Actually it looks pretty good.

The Be Bold that follows the curser was a little distracting but I think it would make people remember your site so it has a good side and bad side.

You were driving the old truck when you were in 3rd grade? I think I would reword something in the about us part. Something about the "you started the business 10 years ago when you were in 3rd grade and you started 10 years ago with an old truck and 8' trailer sounds off. I guess maybe the image of a 9 year old kid trying to see over the top of the steering wheel driving his old truck to the jobsite to mow your lawn might be another image they remember but I would change your wording there a bit.

The navigation being on the top for the home page and on the left on the other pages throws it off a bit as well. It would be better to be consistant with your navigation structure.
  3. m&mmowing

i think that's just how my provider has the navigation set up, i don't like it, and the be bold only works for internet explorer, you know the one browser everyone uses, thank you for the tips and i'll probably change those
  4. Chris B.

Chris B. LawnSite Senior Member

I'm confused? You had a truck and trailer when you were 8?

I'm Matt, the owner of BOLD LAWNS. I started mowing lawns for other people when I was in 3rd grade, about 10 years ago. I have slowly built the business, and built it upon solid relationships with my customers. If you don't like me, you won't like my work. Communication is key, if I cannot get to your lawn, or project, you will be informed when I will get to the job, whether by phone or a personal visit.

We started 10 years ago with a small 8 foot trailer, no racks, a small 30 inch dixon mower, a couple push mowers, and an old truck. We slowly built up relationships with customers and grew the business with referrals, allowing us to buy a new trailer, with decent racks, and allowed us to hold our brand new 42 inch Husqvarna mower. Now 10 years later, through great relationships and making BOLD lawns for our customers, we have the top of the line equipment to serve you to the best of anyone's abilities, just ask one of my other customers.
  5. m&mmowing

it was my dad's i rewrote it, thank you for the suggestions
  6. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Just my opinion but mentioning the type of trailer or brand of mower doesn't mean anything to the customer. You do a good job of pointing out your customer service and belief in customer communication but the fact of having a trailer with racks or a Husqvarna doesnt make me want to hire you. You have to sell me on what you can do for me, not what you can buy with the money you make off of me and your other clients. As a customer, I dont care if you can grow your business. I just want to know if you'll show up every week, do a good job at a fair price, and be available if I have a problem.
  7. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Here are my ideas:
    #1 The most important thing in web design is continuity from page to page. Each page should be set up basically the same way for ease of navigation. Your navigation buttons go from the top of the home page to the left side on other pages.
    #2 I would change "Make your lawn a statement" to "Make a statement with your lawn!"
    There are other issues but this is a good start.
  8. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Sitting here drinking my first cup of coffee for the day I decided to take another look at your site.

One thing I really like is the specials. Sometimes it is hard to pin down where a new customer comes from and that will do it and it rewards someone for visiting your site and calling you. I don't see that on most sites and I think that is great.

I had already commented about the navigation inconsistency and agree with the comments Rick and Chris made but I will give you another BIG BIG BIG mistake that is an absolute website KILLER. You have next to no contact info. All you have is your phone number a few places. So that means if someone does an Internet search for Lawn Services Mulvane KS you will never show up. No one will ever find your site. You should list your city, state and your county so anyone doing a search has a chance to find you. There is another website asking reviews done by Tom Penny, check out his "contact us" page. He did a great job with it. You need to add something like that to your site. Without the contact info it also looks like you have something to hide.

Your photos are OK. I really like the one with the sprinklers and the one with the leaves makes sense but your main photo really does not tie in with your site that much. It is an outdoor scene but I think you could find a better photo.

I also don't agree with your statement about IE being the browser "everyone" uses. You would be surprised how many don't use IE.
  9. m&mmowing

wow, i should have come here earlier, i really, really appreciate it, all i get from my family is "it's good" "good job" "i really like it". so this outside info is great, thanks a lot, and the service i'm using, that was the best pic and the navigation for the page was already setup, i'm trying to figure it out as i go a bit, but it'll come around, and thanks again for all the input and constructive criticism.
  10. m&mmowing

I have made the changes you have recommended me, and i thank you, except for the navigation change, i am unable to do that right now. Again, thank you for all the help and constructive criticism