1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is it too early for spring???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ol'time Lawncare, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

:blob3: I'm ready to go,4 more weeks of winter,phone started ringin yesterday. 4 estimate on grass cutting. next week i put out flyers for spring clean -ups and by the first of march my add in the local paper comes out, does any body else start early in the year advertising,or am i to late?...lol;)
  2. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

i was wondering the same....when is it time to start getting ready for the spring?
  3. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what Im going to do as well..

I'm going to be putting my 1" ads in my local newspaper in 2 different cities in about 2 weeks, starting on Feb 22nd.

I will be putting 500 door hangers in April as well!
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i had the best luck last season when the weather warmed up and people start thinking about grass again. It's like this fall. as soon as the first snowflakes fell in early october people were calling me about snowplowing (which i don't even offer!)
  5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

It is a tad early. And I still think most advertising would be a waste at this point. But that being said, we are getting a serious increase in calls over the last week. Got 3 calls today so far and it's only noon!

It's weird. This doesn't usually happen in February. But I have doubts that it will remain strong. Calls could die again next week when the rain returns and people realize it's still winter.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

It's still a little early yet for us. We usually don't do spring clean ups until the middle or end of March, sometimes later.

We start pruning though in about 3 weeks.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not to rain on your parade since I live in NJ as well, this weekend's weather forecast will put a slight damper on people's thinking of lawn mowing...high for Sunday is gonna be around 14 and low -2 (and that is without the wind) factored in. Your ads are not too late btw.
  8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I never stop advertising. I advertise 12 months a year. Even if i dont get calls in winter, people see the name everyday and it sticks with them. This week i am getting lots of calls. Warm weather getting the people in the mood. I think its never too early to advertise.