Is it too early for winterzer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hodge, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lot of customer asking about winterzer, pre em, is it not still too early? The weather in North Texas is still in the 80 during the day with some 60's at night. Would I be better to place a 10-24-18 out and wait for cooler temps before the winterizer (Dimension)

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

up here in Michigan we usually don't put down winterizer until late October, early November.

3. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Usually a good reference for when to start applying the winterizer is after you've started having frost during the night. This sends a signal to the grass to start storing carbohydrates for the winter time. Unfortunately this doesn't always hold true if you have an earlier than normal frost. But then they are consistent its best to get doing them. Also Due to the number of lawns most need to start the "winterizer" before the actual conditions warrant it to be applied. I know I'm in Ohio here but I' will actually be starting them this next week. We did have a few good frost this past week but it is just a little early but don't have much choice.

4. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent reply. That was the response I really needed. :cool:

5. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Here in Bama, I wish I had started mid september. I'm seeing wild onion. Temps have been in the 70's during the day and droping in the 50's at night. I'm now trying to rush to get my pre-M out. Should be finished in about 1 more week.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

hey grassguy, my wifes butt must have recieved this signal about storing carbohydrates for the winter.

7. tiedeman

from earth

really, you just had a frost, we had our first happen up here about 4 weeks ago

8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Last year here in Pa. I missed out on my last application in November because it got so cold so quick. I was not about to put out high N in 30-40 degree weather to have it sit there so snow mold can go crazy. I lost out.

This week I put out my last ap of fertilizer w/ broadleaf control. 50% slow release so the grass will have N present to store in Nov. The bonus was that I got to spray broadleaf just before all the leaves started coming down heavy.

I do agree that waiting can be beneficial, but the decision will have to be made by the individual.

9. tiedeman

from earth

that is so true turf, the timing of the winterizer has to be perfect. Sometimes people put it on too early or too late

10. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Grassguy - I'm assuming you're basing your advice on Northern turfgrasses since you're in Akron.

Hodge - are you dealing with Southern turfgrasses in N Texas?

After the first frost? Here in TX that may not be until Mid December. We still have plenty of 80 degree weather left. . . heck it was above 90 most of last week - 94 three days ago.

If it stays warm and wet, Bermuda may not go dormant at all, and St Aug will stay active too . . .

I'm just saying advice for Northern turfgrasses may not apply for the Southern turfgrasses. Soil temps, weather, previous fertilization. . . lotta factors!