1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it too early to advertise?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Benchmark, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Benchmark

Benchmark LawnSite Member

I'm in Oklahoma, and the weather is just beginning to warm up. I haven't seen any company's mowing yet, but it should be anytime. We are expecting a cold front through next week. Is it still too early to advertise? Or is it the perfect time?
  2. stang358

stang358 LawnSite Member

You should already be advertising. Most LCOs have been advertising for weeks.
  3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Get those ads out there...start getting it on peoples minds. This is the prime time...you'll be getting a nice jump on the procrastinators....:jester:
  4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

We were advertising in one way or another just after the season ended last year. I hope it all pays off. :D
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

It is never too early to advertise. True if you do it during the Fall for the following year you might be wasting your time but it has been my experience that you will also get some people that want that want to get 'these little items" like lawn care taken care of as soon as possible. Get out there and get your name in the customers minds.

6. freepoint15

freepoint15 LawnSite Member

Benchmark,where at in Oklahoma? We are in Tulsa-we started hanging doorhangers the first week of February.Already picked up 10 new mowing customers and several cleanup jobs.Get started now-Should be 70 degrees this weekend-expect to get several calls.Good luck.
  7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I advertise all year long. That way people see your company ads and it sticks in there heads until spring time. Most customers call in the winter months to get a spot on the spring time list.
  8. Robert T

Robert T LawnSite Member

I will have my door hangers early next week, but wasn't going to hand them out for 2 or 3 weeks because we still have snow on the ground and more in the forecast. Does the snow make a difference in advertising times?

I can sit at my desk and throw money in the trash can...and not even get cold doing it!
  9. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

I'd start within the next week. I've found the early bird doesn't always get the worm when it comes to advertising. I'd say the majority of people are procrastinators... therefore the closer to the season, the better.
  10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I started my advertising(door hangers/flyers/cards) in late Feb. It's never too early, in fact its really getting late too get a jump on the competition. Get out there b4 they do! I spent around $80 for 1000 door hangers, only passed out 500 and already made over $1000 just off of those, not counting the few full time maintenance accounts I have picked up, and its still early in the season. Most people, IMO, wait until the grass is really growing b4 they decide to call then they want you to come that day,lol. I suspect by the end of the month, the phone will be ringing like crazy. Ringing all the time now, seems like. Anyway, get out there and advertise, this it prime time and the best time of the year to pick up residentials. I agree with wacamaster (?, what is that), about the procrastinators.