is it too late? Atrazine/2-4d

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by newlawn, Nov 28, 2006.

1. newlawn

newlawn LawnSite Member

I'm new to this forum, I was thinking do i still have a chance to put out a application of atrazine/2-4d or would this work. the weather is still in the mid 70's here in mississippi. I have a bermuda and a little st. augustine. please really want get off into lawn for the next year.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if the weeds are still actively growing you can get very good results spraying this time of year. with temps in the 70s you should be OK.

3. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

St. Augustine is tolerant of atrazine, that's why we see Scott's Bonus S all over the place here in the South. But atrazine will kill bermuda . . . if that's what you're trying to do.

Environmentally, I think there are better choices for most targeted weeds than atrazine. The rare exception being a St. Aug lawn that has been badly invaded by common bermuda . . . but that also requires an education to the homeowner about maintaining St. Augustine.

4. newlawn

newlawn LawnSite Member

No i'm not trying to kill my bermuda. Atrazine will work on dormant bermuda we have had cold weather thats why a lot of bermuda is dormant, but know it's back in the 70's kinda of crazy weather. Yes their are other chemical i could used like simazine but i already had atrazine so i used. Just never used it this late in the year.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You should probably realize that your Bermuda is not truly dormant at this time. If your soil temps have been much above 50 (and they have) you still have some shoot growth going on.

6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

What is the name of the product with the atrazine in it? I guess I need the commercially know name? Thanks Roy

7. newlawn

newlawn LawnSite Member