Is it too late in the year to spray nut sedge ???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bluelude1, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Bluelude1

Bluelude1 LawnSite Member

I have a fairly decent amount of nut sedge that could really use a good spraying , but i was wondering if it was too late in the year to do so. I am in the Dallas, TX area and right now we are averaging between 95-98 Degrees and the lawn is getting watered about .6" every 3 days.

Thanks in advance

2. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

i assume by the question, you are meaning to spray MSMA to kill it? If so, it is definitely a little iffy.

but, MSMA is not what you need to be spraying anyway. You can spray Sedgehammer with a little surfactant, get much better results, and there is nothing on the label that would make me question spraying in the warm temps.

good luck.

3. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have been spraying it with Sedgehammer for the last few weeks and will throughout the early fall. Temps have been close to 90 degrees.

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I hit the nut sedge in my backyard about 14 days ago, through some pretty hot temps, but not TX temps.... and it worked great using SedgeHammer. We've been in the high 80's and low 90's for a few weeks now, so it's been hot....

5. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i have used dimiss and certainy and its hot down here in south florida...had no problems....the dismiss burned the tips alittle on my st augustine but it grows so fast this time of year after 2 weeks you couldn't tell.....

6. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Go ahead and spray. It seems to be actively growing now here, too, in the Austin area. You may not get much control, but you'll at least get some supression . . . and keep it from taking over the entire lawn.

There are better choices than MSMA.

7. coiclawn

coiclawn LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

I use sedgehammer year round in cent. fla. and haven't had a problem at all.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We used Basagran in Dallas on nutsedge all the way up to Halloween.........always killed it. Make sure to spray it when it's tall, use a fine spray (backpack), also a spreader/sticker helps.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, not too late. Don't do it with MSMA. I like Certainty, MSO and Quicksilver. It does not do much to a healthy lawn, but sedges start burning up 4 or 5 days after being sprayed with this. Do it 3 or 4 days after the last mowing and 3 or 4 before the next mowing.