Is it too late to dethatch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, May 7, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Is it too late in the season to De-thatch my lawn. When I cut my lawn dead grass shoots out but the grass is not brown so I know it needs a thatching. I usually take care of my lawn last even though it still looks great. I would probably also put down some weed killer. What brand works best for you guys? Is Scott's ok. That's what I usually use.
  2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

When I was in the dethatching biz, I always firured if the lawn had 50% or more green showing it would do more harm than good. Now that I have gotten allergic to the dust, seen what power raking does to nice lawns, and reading college studies on the subject I don't power rake any more. And try talking as many people out of it as I can. In this area it is hard to do, because that is what they have always done. Bag all the grass, and power rake every year. Duh.
  3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Scotts is good. If the lawn needs to be dethatched then do it. Some i do several times a year
  4. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Mid to late Spring and late Summer to Early Autumn are the best times to remove thatch, according to most text I've read on the subject.

The key is to do it when grass is actively growing and has an opportunity to recover quickly.

If you don't want to do the power-raking damage, you can aerate instead. It won't remove as much of the thatch as power-raking but it will reduce some thatch while not "unduly distrubing the grass". I would suggest you treat for weeds before aerating, and then fertilize after.

Good luck!