Is it too late to SEED a lawn today or should we sod?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, May 28, 2004.

?

Seed or sod today May 30th?

1. It's not to late to seed as long as it's watered

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. Sod will work much better as we go into June/July.

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys, my father in law had his oil tank removed from the front lawn in March. In doing so, the entire front lawn got completly torn up, it's a real mess.

He ordered 10 yards of topsoil to be delivered today to spread over the front yard and we're also changing the grade. Right now, it slopes TOWARDS the house, which of course isn't good.

So the question is, after the front yard is nice and smooth and a nice brown color, should he order SOD and put that down (which would be next week since it's memorial day weekend), or should he go the seed route and cover it with straw and keep it covered.

This is in central NJ, where we've been having more than adequate rain lately and lots of growth.. Although who knows what it'll do in June into July as far as the weather goes...

Thanks for the help.

2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Your choice, this year either should work. If you want instant green, use the sod. If you have some patience, seed should do just fine this year. My personal preference is for seed.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Is the lawn irrigated, is there shade and how large of area?

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if you seed now, you are a fool

5. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Did several seeding jobs this year so far in central NJ, They all came in quick and perfect.Go with the seed and save yourself a buck and also the free labor since its family. Also, sunny as well as shade were just as good.

6. prizeprop

Yes, listen to BG.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

prize, you make no sense

8. walker-talker

from Midwest

I am not so sure about seeding now. There was a guy in the neighborhood that plant seed in the middle of summer. I swear it was hitting 95 to 100 degrees...middle of July. A buddy of mine just laughed and joked about it. Low and behold it came up and surived well. It was irrigated and I am sure he had to water like a mad man. I will NEVER recommend this, but I saw living proof it can be done. It was a small lawn...probably around 3K-4K sq ft and I hate to see his water bill if he was on city. I would still recommend sodding now. I usually stop seeding around the first week in May...here in zone 5.

9. walker-talker

from Midwest

I agree....prize...make you mind up...seed or no seed?

10. prizeprop

i WAS BEING SARCASTIC,JOKING TO BG. sorry guys. Seriously though, I dont see the rain stopping and I dont see it being in the 90"s for days at a time anytime soon. WERE TALKING ABOUT WHAT $100 INVESTMENT 50LBS OF SEED,STARTER FERT AND SOME STRAW.If it doesnt establish a lawn then go with the sod.I could be wrong.