Is it too late to start?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by okie2, Oct 2, 2007.

1. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

I have recently bought me a JD 757 used. Hopefully will be getting a trailer soon. I also need a trimmer and maybe a blower. Im really just looking to mow and weedeat but I would do more. I really need to get my mower paid off because I despise dept. What can I do to start making payments towards my mower?

2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

You can use it to do leaf cleanups... If you have a mulch kit on it just run over the leaves until the are powder....usually takes a couple of passes. If you dont have a mulch kit, you can get one for around $200 or $250. Just charge the customer per man hour. Around here you can get a minimum of $40 per man hour.

3. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Get a nice leaf blower and do a ton of fall cleanups. Get a backpack blower, like an Echo or Redmax. They cost around 400, but if you get enough jobs, you can easily pay them off. I'd say if you get 3 jobs or so, you can pay off the blower. And any more than that, you can start making payments on your mower. For a trimmer, I'd say go with Echo. I just got one today. So far it is really nice. I got the SRM-210. For only $200 you can't go wrong.

4. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

yeah I have a mulch kit on my mower. Fall cleanup sounds like a good way to make money. I am a coach so I am pretty stinkin busy during the school year. I think its a good idea for me to make some money and I am really interested in the business. Would rather just mow and weedeat though.

5. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Fall cleanups can be good. Just set a rate and stick with it. If you get turned down too much you can always go down, but don't work for free.