Is it too late to start?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tugman, Jul 9, 2004.

1. tugman

tugman LawnSite Member

HI. I'm 19 and in college. I used to mow around 20-25 yards a week during highschool but i refered them to someone else but then I decided to go to college locally. Now I want to get back into mowing again. I would like to get around 10 weekly customers for the remainder of this season so i could have something to start out with next year. I was wondering what is the best advertising technique to get customers after the season has already started?

2. Lakeside Lawncare

Lakeside Lawncare LawnSite Member

Im in the same boat as you. I know its getting late in the season, but I want to have my name out there , so when spring comes back around..it won't be so bad. I plan on doing fall cleanups, and leaf removal. I would also like to know the best way to get some late season customers

Thanks

3. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Advertise in your local paper and do up some eyecatching flyers,
    should get somthing good luck.

4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Basically, it is never too late to start. Just head out with some flyers, and you'll eventually stumble across people who are looking for someone, or maybe were thinking about it, and saw your flyer, so they figured they'd call.
    spring seems to be the most popular time for new customers, but I'd take 1 new one a week for 10 weeks, or 10 in one week, still end up at the same place!
    Keep your eye on the goal, and you avoid all the obstacles!

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi tugman,

I agree with Twins. Hand out flyers and meet potential customers. Keep up the great work!

6. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

Pay your old accounts a visit if you left on good terms. Let them know you are back in the biz on a limited basis. A good history works wonders with old clients.

7. firedog2710

firedog2710 LawnSite Member

this is my first season. i only have 10 residential yards. two of those were gotten this last week. so no, i don't think it's too late to start. this may be a good time because it's starting to get real hot and humid. people dread going out to mow the yard in sticky weather. lol.

8. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Same as at anytime, put together some flyers and get some business cards made up.

9. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

This is actually a good time to start...The clients that have given a new lawn care company a try, just to be disappointed for the past several months are looking to replace them before it gets to late into the season.

Just this past week I picked up 2 new clients that are tired of their old company.

I would say go for it, it's never to late.

10. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

That's rite it is never too late to start doing business.At this time we are entering the secound wave of accounts , so based on your forcast for the next few months you schould be able to bring in 15 or so yards in the next few months.This would depend on how aggerssive you want to get when you are out cold calling.:gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :drinkup: :drinkup: