is it too late?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DBLC, Dec 12, 2003.

1. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

I am in zone 7 and today it is 42degrees. Some flurries likely saturday, but highs in the 50's next week. Is it too late or too cold to install trees & shrubs? I always believe fall is best, but is there such thing as too late? THANKS!!!

2. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Fall is best b/c planting then gives the plants a chance to develop roots in there new home before winter time and thus giving the plant a better chance to produce more new growth in the spring. However, what is the difference of taking a plant out of a nursery that would be sitting there all winter long and be waiting for you to come in and plant it in the spring. Basically as long as the ground is not froze and your able to break up the dirt to not allow air pockets, your ok.

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Go ahead and plant them. Cold weather wont hurt them and it doesnt seem to be too cold for you just yet.

4. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

Thanks! That is what I was thinking. It sure is good to have people like both of you on lawsite to have my back!

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Be careful of broadleafed evergreens planted late in the year. They often lose more water than they can take up because the root balls can have a hard time getting water from the surrounding soil. Make sure you water them enough to get all voids out and establish a good interface between the root ball and soil.

6. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I am not too far from you, and here, it is better for shrubs and trees in the winter than spring.

Bryan