1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it too much to asK??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by txlawnking, Mar 30, 2005.

1. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

To find an OPE dealer that isn't lame?

Today I was looking to make a deal on some new equipment.. So I called around to four different dealers getting prices/ availability on some new hand held gear.. Two we deal with regularly, two we don't.

List: 3 Echo 751"T" blowers
    6 srm 261T trimmers
    3 hc 180 Hedge trimmers
    1 260 extended reach Hedge clippers
    2 cases of mix
    And 3 5 lb. spools of .105..

So I get in all of their responses, and one clearly stomps the rest on the price, But they are an unproven company They quote us $429 a blower, $249 a Trimmer, $329 for the 180's and so on.. Good deal eh? I tell the guy, who is clear across town we'll do the deal, as long as he can deliver to us by 3:00..

I go to one of our regular dealers later to pick up some parts for a 21", and he tells me, " Hey, ___ from ___ called and wanted to know if you guy's are "all right".... I said Hmmm interesting.

I call at 3:30: " Hey ___ . Were you guys gonna bring that stuff out today?" He sez.. " Uh oh, I didn't know you WANTED IT TODAY , You had called and asked me for prices"... I said "Yeah, I called you and asked you for the prices, plus the total with tax ( $4719 ) so I'd have a check waiting for ya'll... Him: " Doh, I'll get it out there in an Hour.. ( This was at 3:30 mind you, H-town traffic is hardcore..)

So at 6:00 the dude shows up, missing the trimmer line, the extended reach clippers, AND with the wrong 751's...

Here's the straw that broke the camel's back.. I call ____ back, and the fool insults my intelligence and tells me that per the Echo rep, they don't make the 751 with a Tube throttle..

:waving: Bye Bye Liar.. Why do they try to pull this @#$%??

All this because I tried to get a good deal.. BTW the price difference was pretty substantial on some of the stuff.. :help:
  2. txlawnking

sorry for the rant...it was a long day
  3. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

A dealer like you just mentioned is exactly why I don't use Redmax products (except for that freak 8000 blower). He is overpriced and is a real smart a$$. Treat's people like they don't know anything about the product they are looking at. The reality of it is, we probably know as much if not more about the product than they do.
  4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

im more sorry for you that you are so cheap that you wont allow your closest lawn shop to make the money they need to make to properly take care of you!
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Al -

Here's where I'll agree with you on a point. :waving:

Buy your stuff from the local guy, unless he's WAY WAY out of line. If he's $50 more on a trimmer, try to get him to throw in trimmer line, or an extra head or two.

I've always bought from the local guy, even though I know I could save a couple hundred bucks on a mower if I went 30 miles.

However, the local guy knows that I always buy from him, and he always keeps me running with new backup equipment if mine goes down.
  6. John's Lawns

John's Lawns LawnSite Member

Hey TXlawnking, are you back in business? Last I heard you were going to sell out and move to Florida. Maybe I'm mixed up. Anyway, good luck to you and have a prosperous season.
  7. txlawnking

i am managing another Lco's maintenece crews.. That's right, I'm an employee. Oh well, it beats starving..
  8. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

thats good advice lwnmwrman22!
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. You got what they provide. Cheap price and no service quality. Hope your customers look for the same when hiring a lawn service.